Pope Francis wishes hope and peace for Romani families in Italy
Speaking on Sunday 14 December during a pastoral visit to the parish of Saint Joseph in the Aurelia quarter of Rome, Pope Francis met with children, with the families of children baptized this year, with the ill, with Romani people and with youth. The Pope received the faithful in the confessional, where he administered the sacrament of reconciliation.
News server RádioVaticana.cz. reports that the Pope began Holy Mass after hearing confessions. He also met with approximately 40 Romani people living in a nearby camp who are in contact with the parish.
The Pope spoke with the Roma about hope and wished their families peace. "May there always be joy, peace and work in your families. Jesus' joy and Jesus' peace so you can continue on your way. Don't lose hope because of difficulties," the Pope urged the Roma, according to RádioVaticana.cz.
"The church is with you. The church will always welcome you, especially this parish," news server Catholicculture.org reported the Pope told the Roma.
One of the biggest Romani populations outisde of Romania lives in Italy, and their coexistence with the majority population involves conflicts. Romani people in Italy have worse access to education and health care and are often the target of violent attacks.
- Address of His Holiness Pope Francis: Meeting with participants in the pilgrimage of Gypsies
- Commentary: Pope Francis is right - Roma are often modern-day slaves
- Almost 2 000 Romani people granted historic audience with the Pope
- Pope to see Romani pilgrims on 75th anniversary of first beatified Rom's martyrdom
- Sarkozy to see Pope after French crackdown on Gypsies
- 3,000 gypsies coming to Birmingham for Pope's visit
- City council sets aside sites for gypsies arriving to see Pope in Birmingham
- Pope asks French to welcome all nationalities
- Hindus and Jews urge Pope to undertake cause of Roma of Czech Republic during his September visit
- Pope appeals for respect for migrants rights after Italy begins clampdown on Romanians
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Italian court upholds acquittal and exoneration of captain who rescued migrants
- Czech Republic: Charles University's Romani Studies Seminar accepting applications
- Academic Huub van Baar has found Romani people succeed on the labor market when given a chance
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Scholars gather in Czech capital to discuss migrations and mobilities of Romani people
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival