Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
On 20 November the Blesk tabloid in the Czech Republic reported that the Vlax Romani leader Josef Stojka (54) and representatives of Romani organizations have expressed their gratitude to the Teaching Hospital in Ostrava's Poruba quarter. Health care workers there recently managed to save a Romani community member suffering from a life-threatening course of COVID-19 from the clutches of death.
The patient was suffering from serious pneumonia and doctors had to revive him after his heart stopped. Stojka, the chair of the Union of Vlax Roma (Unie Olašských Romů), brought palettes of beverages, fruit and sweets to nurses at the hospital, who were very moved.
Stojka delivered the gifts using a smaller flatbed truck that was absolutely full. "Our staff were really very glad and I believe that thanks to this gift they will have the necessary energy to keep working," said Hana Maiwaelderová of the Teaching Hospital.
"Romani people are not indifferent to the situation with COVID, we wanted to thank the staff in the Anesthesiology and Resuscitation Department as well as the other departments for how they are deploying their skills to combat the coronavirus," Stojka said, adding that all local Romani authorities had come together to express their gratitude. Awareness of the disease and calls to follow the measures to suppress the pandemic are being spread among the Romani community through their leaders.
"They are decidedly not underestimating this disease. COVID does not choose you based on age or skin color. We recently lost a friend to it in Brno. I say not just to Romani people, but to everybody: Hang in there and may God bless you," Stojka said.
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech celebrations of 17 November will mostly be online, ultra-right plans to protest COVID-19 measures in the streets
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- This year marks the 76th anniversary of the Nazi murder of Romani people in a detention camp in Slovakia
- Romani organizations write to Czech Industry and Trade Minister: Roma must be part of the National Plan for Renewal
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Czech census: Online form will be in Romanes too, listing nationality is important
- Renáta Plachetková: EU citizens without settled status as of 30 June in the UK will be deported
- Deadline for applications to Romani Studies at Charles University is the end of February
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Commentary: Czech amendment to tighten welfare restrictions is just more salt in the wound