Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Czech Labor Minister praises container housing in Romani ghetto
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Germany: Neo-Nazi terrorists get multiple-year sentences
- Feminist Roma theater company celebrates the abolition of Roma slavery in Romania
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Stano Daniel: A message from Slovakia. First, words fall. Then people.
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
- Czech Justice Minister threatens to resign if SPD party joins the Government, calls it fascist, they plan to sue
- Czech Interior Ministry's quarterly report on extremism: Politicians exploited fears of immigration
- Julius Zajac: Ascendancy of extremists and liars may augur a new kind of totalitarianism in the Czech Republic
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.