Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Germany: Racist assaults increasing
- Czech court reopens trial of promotion of neo-Nazism, now in its sixth year
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Analysis: Refugee curfew relaxed in German town of Bautzen, opponents of racism assemble undisturbed
- Turkey: Dom refugees from Syria find refuge in the Tarlabaşi neighborhood of Istanbul
- Eva Danišová: Czech society has already crossed the line between intolerance and racism
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Czech Human Rights Minister: Hatred of minorities is being exploited during elections
- Czech Republic: NGOs disagree with draft law on free legal aid
- Czech Republic: Opponents of the EU, Islam, Merkel and refugee reception demonstrate in Prague
- Germany: Neo-Nazis in Lausitz region chase refugee youth through town, besiege their accommodation until 3 AM
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.