Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Germany: Romani-inhabited building struck by arson, media strangely quiet
- Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- Czech pro-Kremlin disinformation Facebook page sparks wave of racist, vulgar comments about non-white infant
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Austria: First newborn of the year has become a target of hateful commentary
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech poll finds that Drahoš has the biggest chance against Zeman in the second round
- Czech women charged with promoting neo-Nazism plead innocent
- Czech presidential candidate says incumbent will be incapable of five more years in office
- Czech televised discussion features one presidential candidate, two presidential spokespeople - and a ficus
- Czech MP spreads disinformation about terrorist threat, Interior Minister sharply objects
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies8.1.2018 18:12
Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years7.1.2018 17:17
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.