Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Czech Interior Minister suing City of Prague over opinion on gallows at demonstration
- Czech Republic: Another bomb threat against the Klinka Social Center, police search building without evacuating it
- Germany: Romani refugees occupy Berlin memorial to Roma murdered during Nazism, police intervene
- Cyprus: Orthodox Church leader welcomes election of neo-Nazi MPs
- European Commission launches infringement proceedings against Hungary over discrimination of Romani children
- Czech Republic: Romani members of LEV 21 party disapprove of it partnering with ultra-right in fall elections
- Timea Junghaus: Roma art as an act of resistance
- Czech Interior Minister says migrants are "not an issue" in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police arrest 16 activists from the Autonomous Social Center Klinika, charges being pressed
- Austrian neo-Nazi massacres festival-goers
- Czech Jewish Community says speeches at Terezín commemoration were anti-German, nationalist and xenophobic
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion's dilemma: What to do with haters of "HateFree" who work with Romani children?
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Czech Republic: Romani members of LEV 21 party disapprove of it partnering with ultra-right in fall elections27.5.2016 22:28
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.