Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- LIVE BROADCAST: Disgraced adviser to US President debates Democratic Party supporter in Prague
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- Czech commemoration of Holocaust at Terezín Memorial will again not feature the Romani flag
- Hungary: Open Society Foundation closing in Budapest due to Government persecution
- Disgraced former Trump adviser to debate 2016 election with Democratic Party supporter in the Czech capital
- Ukraine: Violence against Romani people is escalating
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
- EU Agency for Fundamental Rights finds Czech Republic the place that rejects Romani people the most
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Jana Balážová: Not acceptable for teachers to see Romani children as a burden
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.