Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Czech Republic: Romani Residents Persevere Through Poor Living Conditions
- Colombia: Romani Residents Embrace Their New and Traditional Identities
- Romania: Romani Actresses Shine a Spotlight on Feminism
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- New Czech documentary about neo-Nazi who still lives with his mother at age 40 and hates the world
- David Beňák: Health inequality in the Czech Republic a topic now that Romani infant mortality double the national average
- Bulgaria: Anti-Roma Protests Continue After Alleged Romani Attacks on Teenagers
- Alana Telesford Explores Educational Inequity within the Czech Republic
- Lehigh University Students Explore the Problem of Social Housing within the Czech Republic
- Romani Students Propel Themselves Forward, Aiming to Further Their Education
- Miloš Zeman circa 1998: CZK 600 million to build a memorial instead of a pig farm is "negligible amount"
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
on 17 July.
Czech tabloid fraudulently tells readers CCTV footage of theft in Chile was from Ostrava - antigypsyism is the response18.7.2017 7:16
Ninety years ago the Czechoslovak authorities issued law on "wandering gypsies", took fingerprints for "gypsy identification cards"15.7.2017 14:13
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.