Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Roman Koky: Prejudice just drives me further, education is the most important thing
- Czech Republic: Yet another audio recording documents real estate agent discrimination against Roma
- Czech Republic: Landlord recorded refusing to rent apartment to Roma
- Exhibition "A Vanished World" about indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti again on display in Prague
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he believes his department and the Hate Free Culture campaign are "unnecessary"
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech extremists abuse LGBT pride march in town of Plzeň but fail to block it
- Czech Gov't human rights report finds Romani children are still discriminated against in education
- Chair of Prague DSSS celebrates ultra-right terrorist murdering woman in USA
- USA: Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, offline after boycott
- USA: Neo-Nazi website shut down after insulting Charlottesville murder victim
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat17.9.2017 17:51
Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"15.9.2017 14:43
He will be losing his quarterly salary as a result.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.