Romania: Police investigate group offering Romani women money for sterilization
Agence France-Presse reported today that the prosecutor in Timisoara, Romania has begun investigating a nationalist group called NAT88 for soliciting Romani women to undergo sterilizations. The group will be investigated on suspicion of "public promotion of a fascist and racist ideology".
NAT88 has several dozen members in Timisoara, located in the western region of Banat. The group offered through its website to pay "each gypsy woman from the Banat a reward of 300 lei [EUR 70] who submits to us a doctor's confirmation that she voluntarily underwent sterilization this year". The website went on to claim that such a step would contribute to reducing the Romani community's crime rate. Members of the group allege they have fallen victim to Romani criminals. NGOs fighting against the discrimination of Romani people in Romania, however, view the enterprise as an attack on democratic principles and called on the authorities to intervene.
According to official numbers, around 620 000 Romani people live in Romania, but it is estimated that the actual number of the Romani population is between 1.5 million and 2 million people. They live in poverty due to strong discrimination against them on the labor market.
- Czech President and Governor of Olomouc Region doubt whether attack on African man in Prague was racially motivated
- Open Society Fund Prague conference on Romani children's access to education: How to explain the delay?
- Czech Republic commemorates Velvet Revolution, Prague Police arrest two right-wing extremists
- Lívia Járóka becomes first ever Romani Vice-President of the European Parliament
- Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
- UN tells Czech Republic to improve Romani integration, compensate illegally sterilized women
- Slovakia: Debacle in elections for the neofascists, Kotleba out as Regional Governor
- Czech racists threaten online to kill children because they are of Arab and Romani origin
- "A Vanished World" exhibit on Wenceslas Square in the Czech capital for the next two weeks
- Czech court holds trial of man who threatened Romani children with gunfire at summer camp
- Czech military intelligence: Extremists' Islamophobic declarations legitimize the ideology of radical Islamists
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
Tags:Aktuality, Antidiskriminace, Diskriminace, Evropa, Lidská práva, Stereotypy, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, nacionalistické uskupení NAT88, Romové, sterilizace, Extremism, Neo-Nazism, news, Roma, Romania, Sterilisation, world
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.