Serbia: Dead Romani youth found in Bečej, racial motivation not yet ruled out
In the early morning hours of Sunday, 17 March 2013, a dead 17-year-old Romani boy was found in the Serbian town of Bečej. The circumstances of his death are unclear and it is possible he was the victim of a racially motivated attack.
Police have qualified the boy's death as suspicious. The Serbian daily
Blic reported several days later that he had been kicked to death by
four skinheads and that the attack could have been intentional and
motivated by his ethnicity.
Blic reported that the boy had been brutally beaten and lost consciousness in a pool of water. Other media reports said an autopsy showed the cause of death was drowning. A 14-year-old ethnic Hungarian boy has reportedly been arrested in connection with the attack.
On Thursday, 21 March 2013 another such incident took place in eastern Serbia. A group of masked youths attacked.a group of Romani people in a Romani settlement.
According to unconfirmed reports, that incident occurred the day after a Romani person may have attacked an ethnic Serb. Police have arrested 10 people and charged them with committing felony violent behavior. The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has called on the Serbian criminal justice authorities to thoroughly investigate both cases for possible racial motivation.
- Jan Cverčko: Romale, vote for Jiří Drahoš!
- New Czech Education Minister to focus on which diagnoses do not necessitate inclusive education
- Germany: Romani-inhabited building struck by arson, media strangely quiet
- Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
- Czech attorney: Justice for online hate has been won in a case of racist assaults against two Romani brothers
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- UK: Police say there are no suspicious circumstances about death of young Romani girl in Sheffield
- Czech pro-Kremlin disinformation Facebook page sparks wave of racist, vulgar comments about non-white infant
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Austria: First newborn of the year has become a target of hateful commentary
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Czech poll finds that Drahoš has the biggest chance against Zeman in the second round
Tags:Aktuality, Bezpečnost, CEE, Děti, Kriminalita, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Osada, Policie, Srbsko, Vražda, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, Romové, skinheads, Srbsko, Extremism, news, Racism, Roma, world
Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies8.1.2018 18:12
Czech EdMin says number of Romani children educated according to reduced standards has not changed in three years7.1.2018 17:17
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.