Serbia: Dead Romani youth found in Bečej, racial motivation not yet ruled out
In the early morning hours of Sunday, 17 March 2013, a dead 17-year-old Romani boy was found in the Serbian town of Bečej. The circumstances of his death are unclear and it is possible he was the victim of a racially motivated attack.
Police have qualified the boy's death as suspicious. The Serbian daily
Blic reported several days later that he had been kicked to death by
four skinheads and that the attack could have been intentional and
motivated by his ethnicity.
Blic reported that the boy had been brutally beaten and lost consciousness in a pool of water. Other media reports said an autopsy showed the cause of death was drowning. A 14-year-old ethnic Hungarian boy has reportedly been arrested in connection with the attack.
On Thursday, 21 March 2013 another such incident took place in eastern Serbia. A group of masked youths attacked.a group of Romani people in a Romani settlement.
According to unconfirmed reports, that incident occurred the day after a Romani person may have attacked an ethnic Serb. Police have arrested 10 people and charged them with committing felony violent behavior. The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has called on the Serbian criminal justice authorities to thoroughly investigate both cases for possible racial motivation.
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Czech Police investigating anonymous antisemitic letter in Prostějov
- Slovak Police charge woman with threatening Muslims and Roma through Facebook, she faces six years in prison
- German court sentences xenophobes to seven and eight-year prison sentences for arson
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani men fighting "about a girl" misreported by media as neo-Nazi brawl with Roma
- Czech Police close investigation into arson attack by neo-Nazis on the Klinika Social Center
- Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
- Slovak Parliament changes regional election rules, extremists could benefit
- Together We Can: Jan Balog
- Czech Police propose prosecution of ultra-right extremist, he faces three years if convicted
- Stano Daniel: Fico's the "gypsy", I am a Rom
- VIDEO: Father of deceased Romani man says he has filed complaint against suspension of investigation
Tags:Aktuality, Bezpečnost, CEE, Děti, Kriminalita, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Osada, Policie, Srbsko, Vražda, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, Romové, skinheads, Srbsko, Extremism, news, Racism, Roma, world
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.