Serbia: Dead Romani youth found in Bečej, racial motivation not yet ruled out
In the early morning hours of Sunday, 17 March 2013, a dead 17-year-old Romani boy was found in the Serbian town of Bečej. The circumstances of his death are unclear and it is possible he was the victim of a racially motivated attack.
Police have qualified the boy's death as suspicious. The Serbian daily
Blic reported several days later that he had been kicked to death by
four skinheads and that the attack could have been intentional and
motivated by his ethnicity.
Blic reported that the boy had been brutally beaten and lost consciousness in a pool of water. Other media reports said an autopsy showed the cause of death was drowning. A 14-year-old ethnic Hungarian boy has reportedly been arrested in connection with the attack.
On Thursday, 21 March 2013 another such incident took place in eastern Serbia. A group of masked youths attacked.a group of Romani people in a Romani settlement.
According to unconfirmed reports, that incident occurred the day after a Romani person may have attacked an ethnic Serb. Police have arrested 10 people and charged them with committing felony violent behavior. The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has called on the Serbian criminal justice authorities to thoroughly investigate both cases for possible racial motivation.
- Romani musician Ida Kelarová to present young Romani musicians she has coached in concert Friday with the Czech Philharmonic
- Vicente Rodriguez Speaks About His Vision for the Romani People
- Czech Justice Minister says moving pig farm from Roma genocide camp may require expropriation
- UK: Muslim Community Helps Survivors of Grenfell Tower Fire
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
- Commentary: Social Exclusion is a Global Issue
- Turkey: Roma Families in Istanbul Face Continued Gentrification
- US: Police Officer Shoots African-American Man and is Acquitted of Manslaughter Charges
- Bosnia: Melina Halilovic is First Romani Woman in Municipal Council in Visoko
- Czech Republic: Romani people discuss whether the approach of Afrofuturism could empower them
Tags:Aktuality, Bezpečnost, CEE, Děti, Kriminalita, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Osada, Policie, Srbsko, Vražda, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, Romové, skinheads, Srbsko, Extremism, news, Racism, Roma, world
Together We Can: Staffer of youth drop-in center says differences between Czech and Romani youth are minimal18.6.2017 10:02
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.