Serbia: Dead Romani youth found in Bečej, racial motivation not yet ruled out
In the early morning hours of Sunday, 17 March 2013, a dead 17-year-old Romani boy was found in the Serbian town of Bečej. The circumstances of his death are unclear and it is possible he was the victim of a racially motivated attack.
Police have qualified the boy's death as suspicious. The Serbian daily
Blic reported several days later that he had been kicked to death by
four skinheads and that the attack could have been intentional and
motivated by his ethnicity.
Blic reported that the boy had been brutally beaten and lost consciousness in a pool of water. Other media reports said an autopsy showed the cause of death was drowning. A 14-year-old ethnic Hungarian boy has reportedly been arrested in connection with the attack.
On Thursday, 21 March 2013 another such incident took place in eastern Serbia. A group of masked youths attacked.a group of Romani people in a Romani settlement.
According to unconfirmed reports, that incident occurred the day after a Romani person may have attacked an ethnic Serb. Police have arrested 10 people and charged them with committing felony violent behavior. The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has called on the Serbian criminal justice authorities to thoroughly investigate both cases for possible racial motivation.
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Turkey: Dom refugees from Syria find refuge in the Tarlabaşi neighborhood of Istanbul
- Eva Danišová: Czech society has already crossed the line between intolerance and racism
- Yveta Kenety: We won't get rid of prejudice until we get to know each other
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Czech Human Rights Minister: Hatred of minorities is being exploited during elections
- Czech Police apprehend suspected perpetrators who spray-painted Nazi symbols on venues supporting Government's HateFree campaign
- Czech Republic: Opponents of the EU, Islam, Merkel and refugee reception demonstrate in Prague
- Germany: Neo-Nazis in Lausitz region chase refugee youth through town, besiege their accommodation until 3 AM
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Miroslav Klempár: Parents make the final decision on where to enroll their children for school
- Czech documentary about Romani footballers premiered yesterday in Prague
Tags:Aktuality, Bezpečnost, CEE, Děti, Kriminalita, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Osada, Policie, Srbsko, Vražda, Xenofobie, zprávy, Anticiganismus, Romové, skinheads, Srbsko, Extremism, news, Racism, Roma, world
Adriana Trejtnarová (age 21) has come a long way already in her life.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.