Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
News server Deník N reports that in the town of Gelnica in Slovakia's Košice Region, the Romani settlement of Háj is now under quarantine because a resident returned from England and failed to self-isolate. "We are in communication with people from the settlement," Mayor Dušan Tomaško told the news server.
"If anybody breaks the 14-day compulsory quarantine, we will report it to the state police," the mayor said. "We do not have the authority to arrest anybody."
According to the mayor, the man concerned has not tested positively for COVID-19 and has no symptoms. About 80 people live in the settlement.
The town hall is securing supplies of drinking water and groceries for the settlement residents. MEP Peter Pollák, the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities who is now a member of the Central Crisis Team, said it would be best to place all of the inhabitants of the settlement who had come into contact with the man into a quarantine facility.
According to the town's press spokesperson, Milo Janáč, Háj is now marked off by a perimeter of tape which nobody is allowed to cross. "We are communicating with the Central Crisis Team and the Interior Ministry also offered us aid," he said, adding that the best solution would be to relocate the inhabitants of the settlement into state-run quarantine facilities because it will be problematic to mind the settlement at night.
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Czech Supreme Administrative Court upholds homeless Romani family's appeal of eviction, returns case to Regional Court
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures haven't stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra