Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
News server Deník N reports that in the town of Gelnica in Slovakia's Košice Region, the Romani settlement of Háj is now under quarantine because a resident returned from England and failed to self-isolate. "We are in communication with people from the settlement," Mayor Dušan Tomaško told the news server.
"If anybody breaks the 14-day compulsory quarantine, we will report it to the state police," the mayor said. "We do not have the authority to arrest anybody."
According to the mayor, the man concerned has not tested positively for COVID-19 and has no symptoms. About 80 people live in the settlement.
The town hall is securing supplies of drinking water and groceries for the settlement residents. MEP Peter Pollák, the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities who is now a member of the Central Crisis Team, said it would be best to place all of the inhabitants of the settlement who had come into contact with the man into a quarantine facility.
According to the town's press spokesperson, Milo Janáč, Háj is now marked off by a perimeter of tape which nobody is allowed to cross. "We are communicating with the Central Crisis Team and the Interior Ministry also offered us aid," he said, adding that the best solution would be to relocate the inhabitants of the settlement into state-run quarantine facilities because it will be problematic to mind the settlement at night.
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General issue statements honoring 2 August
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic: As long as we never appear in such positions, nothing will change
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right