Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
News server Deník N reports that in the town of Gelnica in Slovakia's Košice Region, the Romani settlement of Háj is now under quarantine because a resident returned from England and failed to self-isolate. "We are in communication with people from the settlement," Mayor Dušan Tomaško told the news server.
"If anybody breaks the 14-day compulsory quarantine, we will report it to the state police," the mayor said. "We do not have the authority to arrest anybody."
According to the mayor, the man concerned has not tested positively for COVID-19 and has no symptoms. About 80 people live in the settlement.
The town hall is securing supplies of drinking water and groceries for the settlement residents. MEP Peter Pollák, the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities who is now a member of the Central Crisis Team, said it would be best to place all of the inhabitants of the settlement who had come into contact with the man into a quarantine facility.
According to the town's press spokesperson, Milo Janáč, Háj is now marked off by a perimeter of tape which nobody is allowed to cross. "We are communicating with the Central Crisis Team and the Interior Ministry also offered us aid," he said, adding that the best solution would be to relocate the inhabitants of the settlement into state-run quarantine facilities because it will be problematic to mind the settlement at night.
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech and international organizations support bereaved family with Constitutional Court complaint over death of Stanislav Tomáš in police custody
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
- Excluded Roma in Slovakia have died of COVID-19 more than non-Roma due to low rates of vaccination, their employment rates have also stagnated
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic