Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
News server Deník N reports that in the town of Gelnica in Slovakia's Košice Region, the Romani settlement of Háj is now under quarantine because a resident returned from England and failed to self-isolate. "We are in communication with people from the settlement," Mayor Dušan Tomaško told the news server.
"If anybody breaks the 14-day compulsory quarantine, we will report it to the state police," the mayor said. "We do not have the authority to arrest anybody."
According to the mayor, the man concerned has not tested positively for COVID-19 and has no symptoms. About 80 people live in the settlement.
The town hall is securing supplies of drinking water and groceries for the settlement residents. MEP Peter Pollák, the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities who is now a member of the Central Crisis Team, said it would be best to place all of the inhabitants of the settlement who had come into contact with the man into a quarantine facility.
According to the town's press spokesperson, Milo Janáč, Háj is now marked off by a perimeter of tape which nobody is allowed to cross. "We are communicating with the Central Crisis Team and the Interior Ministry also offered us aid," he said, adding that the best solution would be to relocate the inhabitants of the settlement into state-run quarantine facilities because it will be problematic to mind the settlement at night.
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence
- Czech region now has two local platforms hoping to connect pro-Roma and Roma organizations with local administrations and state institutions
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?