Slovakia: Blaze in Romani settlement deprives 70 people of housing
A fire broke out on Monday, 30 March in a Romani settlement in the municipality of Malcov, Bardějov district in Slovakia. A total of 15 cabins were burned to the ground and approximately 70 people were made homeless, 30 of them children; no one was injured.
Mayor Stanislav Gernát convened a crisis committee that night and declared a state of emergency. The municipality arranged for heated tents and food for the displaced, most of whom took shelter with relatives.
There was another fire on Monday in the municipality of Hranovnica, Poprad district, with the roofs of two single-family homes catching fire that night. The preliminary damage was estimated at EUR 45 000.
No one was injured in that blaze either. The causes and circumstances of the fire are under investigation.
- Slovakia: Number of extremist crimes drops
- Slovakia: Roma Plenipotentiary asks Prosecutor-General to review case of police abuse of Romani boys
- Slovakia: Antifascists try to block neo-Nazi march celebrating WWII-era fascist state
- Slovakia: Acquittal of police who bullied Romani children called unacceptable
- Slovakia: Riot unit attack on Romani settlement remains unsolved
- Slovakia: Scandalous verdict acquits police of torturing Romani children
- Slovakia: Local Romani councilors give up their remuneration
- Czech Police charge seven people with transporting drugs from Ústí Region to Slovakia
- Slovakia: Romani journalist accuses those involved in the Romani issue of careerism
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Neo-Nazi fined EUR 400 for kicking victim in the head
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Slovakia: Artist involves Romani volunteers in revitalizing apartments
- Czech NGO's hands tied on hopeless situation of Romani migrants from Slovakia
- Slovakia: International conference on the Romani issue
- Renata Berkyová on wall demolition in Slovakia: What principles do we honor?
- Slovakia: Activists demolish part of segregation wall, ignoring local Romani opinion
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains