Slovakia: Blaze in Romani settlement deprives 70 people of housing
A fire broke out on Monday, 30 March in a Romani settlement in the municipality of Malcov, Bardějov district in Slovakia. A total of 15 cabins were burned to the ground and approximately 70 people were made homeless, 30 of them children; no one was injured.
Mayor Stanislav Gernát convened a crisis committee that night and declared a state of emergency. The municipality arranged for heated tents and food for the displaced, most of whom took shelter with relatives.
There was another fire on Monday in the municipality of Hranovnica, Poprad district, with the roofs of two single-family homes catching fire that night. The preliminary damage was estimated at EUR 45 000.
No one was injured in that blaze either. The causes and circumstances of the fire are under investigation.
- Slovakia: Number of extremist crimes drops
- Slovakia: Roma Plenipotentiary asks Prosecutor-General to review case of police abuse of Romani boys
- Slovakia: Antifascists try to block neo-Nazi march celebrating WWII-era fascist state
- Slovakia: Acquittal of police who bullied Romani children called unacceptable
- Slovakia: Riot unit attack on Romani settlement remains unsolved
- Slovakia: Scandalous verdict acquits police of torturing Romani children
- Slovakia: Local Romani councilors give up their remuneration
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Author Monika Duždová compares life for Romani people in England and Slovakia
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- House of Romani family in Czech Republic burns down: Arson, or unfortunate accident? Police are investigating
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility