Slovakia: Blaze in Romani settlement deprives 70 people of housing
A fire broke out on Monday, 30 March in a Romani settlement in the municipality of Malcov, Bardějov district in Slovakia. A total of 15 cabins were burned to the ground and approximately 70 people were made homeless, 30 of them children; no one was injured.
Mayor Stanislav Gernát convened a crisis committee that night and declared a state of emergency. The municipality arranged for heated tents and food for the displaced, most of whom took shelter with relatives.
There was another fire on Monday in the municipality of Hranovnica, Poprad district, with the roofs of two single-family homes catching fire that night. The preliminary damage was estimated at EUR 45 000.
No one was injured in that blaze either. The causes and circumstances of the fire are under investigation.
- Slovakia: Number of extremist crimes drops
- Slovakia: Roma Plenipotentiary asks Prosecutor-General to review case of police abuse of Romani boys
- Slovakia: Antifascists try to block neo-Nazi march celebrating WWII-era fascist state
- Slovakia: Acquittal of police who bullied Romani children called unacceptable
- Slovakia: Riot unit attack on Romani settlement remains unsolved
- Slovakia: Scandalous verdict acquits police of torturing Romani children
- Slovakia: Local Romani councilors give up their remuneration
- Czech Police charge seven people with transporting drugs from Ústí Region to Slovakia
- Slovakia: Romani journalist accuses those involved in the Romani issue of careerism
- Slovakia: Candidate offering remuneration to Roma for sterilization
- Slovakia: Neo-Nazi fined EUR 400 for kicking victim in the head
- Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
- Slovakia: Artist involves Romani volunteers in revitalizing apartments
- Czech NGO's hands tied on hopeless situation of Romani migrants from Slovakia
- Slovakia: International conference on the Romani issue
- Renata Berkyová on wall demolition in Slovakia: What principles do we honor?
- Slovakia: Activists demolish part of segregation wall, ignoring local Romani opinion
- Slovakia: Romani people protest against Fascists in the east
- Czech Republic: Charles University's Romani Studies Seminar accepting applications
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating
- Academic Huub van Baar has found Romani people succeed on the labor market when given a chance
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Slovak town bans demonstration by fascists out of respect for Holocaust victims
- Commentary by Czech MEP Zdechovský: Roma need work, not welfare!