Slovakia: Renowned Hollywood composer supports Romani EP candidate
Hans Zimmer, a composer of music for big Hollywood films such as "Batman", "The Da Vinci Code", "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Gladiator" has launched a video supporting Stanislav Daniel, a Romani candidate for the European Parliament running for the OĽaNO movement. "At first I was surprised that it actually happened and that the video in which the famous Hans Zimmer recommends voting for Stano Daniel made it into the world. Another great surprise was that the media picked it up. Thousands of people have seen the video and the article about it. This isn't just about publicizing Stano Daniel as an MEP candidate, but about publicizing him as Romani without negative imagery or unnecessary sensationalism," Daniel told news server Romea.cz on 21 May, several hours before voting began in Slovakia.
"In 2011 I decided to go on a musical adventure, I wanted to record excellent Romani musicians, so I traveled to Slovakia," Zimmer says in the video. His plan was to use traditional Romani music for "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", starring Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law.
Zimmer met Daniel during his time in Slovakia. "We became friends when he was recording music for 'Sherlock Holmes' with Slovak Roma. He invited me to the studio to interpret for them," Daniel told news server Romovia.sme.sk, which reports that the composer is interested in the situation in Slovakia and convinced that the Romani minority needs its own representatives and voice there.
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Magdalena Karvayová: Parents in the ghettos need to see education offers their children a future
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- Edita Stejskalová: Czech PM has decided not to establish the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated