Slovakia: Renowned Hollywood composer supports Romani EP candidate
Hans Zimmer, a composer of music for big Hollywood films such as "Batman", "The Da Vinci Code", "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Gladiator" has launched a video supporting Stanislav Daniel, a Romani candidate for the European Parliament running for the OĽaNO movement. "At first I was surprised that it actually happened and that the video in which the famous Hans Zimmer recommends voting for Stano Daniel made it into the world. Another great surprise was that the media picked it up. Thousands of people have seen the video and the article about it. This isn't just about publicizing Stano Daniel as an MEP candidate, but about publicizing him as Romani without negative imagery or unnecessary sensationalism," Daniel told news server Romea.cz on 21 May, several hours before voting began in Slovakia.
"In 2011 I decided to go on a musical adventure, I wanted to record excellent Romani musicians, so I traveled to Slovakia," Zimmer says in the video. His plan was to use traditional Romani music for "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", starring Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law.
Zimmer met Daniel during his time in Slovakia. "We became friends when he was recording music for 'Sherlock Holmes' with Slovak Roma. He invited me to the studio to interpret for them," Daniel told news server Romovia.sme.sk, which reports that the composer is interested in the situation in Slovakia and convinced that the Romani minority needs its own representatives and voice there.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- Commentary: Which Czech media outlets can we take seriously?
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights is now Monika Šimůnková, a former Human Rights Commissioner
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo