Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
News server Romovia.sme.sk reported last month that hundreds of candidates running for Romani political parties will be seeking voter approval in the upcoming local elections in Slovakia on 15 November. Chairs of the Romani Union Party in Slovakia (Strana romské unie na Slovensku - SRÚS), the Romani Coalition Party (Strana romské koalice - SRK) and the Roma Initiative of Slovakia (Romská iniciativa Slovenska - RIS) confirmed to the TASR press agency that their candidates will also be running for the post of mayor.
Romani parties will field candidates in all the regions of Slovakia with the exception of Bratislava. Most will run in eastern Slovakia.
"There are approximately 800 candidates, in 12 cases we will also run for mayor," said Václav Kappel, chair of the RIS. František Tanko of the SRÚS said his party will field approximately 400 candidates for local council members and 20 candidates for mayor.
The SRK party also wants to field 20 candidates for the post of mayor. "There will be 160 candidates running for council seats with our support," SRK chair Gejza Adam told the TASR.
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Hungarian Supreme Court: Romani children deserve financial compensation for school segregation
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable