Slovakia: Romani parties nominate hundreds of candidates for local elections
News server Romovia.sme.sk reported last month that hundreds of candidates running for Romani political parties will be seeking voter approval in the upcoming local elections in Slovakia on 15 November. Chairs of the Romani Union Party in Slovakia (Strana romské unie na Slovensku - SRÚS), the Romani Coalition Party (Strana romské koalice - SRK) and the Roma Initiative of Slovakia (Romská iniciativa Slovenska - RIS) confirmed to the TASR press agency that their candidates will also be running for the post of mayor.
Romani parties will field candidates in all the regions of Slovakia with the exception of Bratislava. Most will run in eastern Slovakia.
"There are approximately 800 candidates, in 12 cases we will also run for mayor," said Václav Kappel, chair of the RIS. František Tanko of the SRÚS said his party will field approximately 400 candidates for local council members and 20 candidates for mayor.
The SRK party also wants to field 20 candidates for the post of mayor. "There will be 160 candidates running for council seats with our support," SRK chair Gejza Adam told the TASR.
- Slovakia: Artist involves Romani volunteers in revitalizing apartments
- ERGO distances itself from wall demolition in Slovakia
- Slovakia: International conference on the Romani issue
- Renata Berkyová on wall demolition in Slovakia: What principles do we honor?
- Slovakia: Activists demolish part of segregation wall, ignoring local Romani opinion
- Slovakia: Roma plan to demonstrate for better conditions
- Slovakia: Wall erected to keep Romani residents separate
- Almost half of all Roma in Slovakia are integrated, others live without sewerage
- Commentary: Slovakia's Fascist governor and racist beauty queen
- Slovakia: TV anchor taken off air, loses job over racist statement
- Slovakia: Demonstration in support of ethnic Hungarian
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak President-elect creates minority adviser team, Roma represented by Jurina Rusnáková and Viktor Teru
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival