American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
The Ambassador of Canada to the Czech Republic, Barbara Richardson, put up the Romani flag yesterday afternoon at the embassy. "On April 8, International Romani Day is celebrated all around the world. Ambassador Richardson supports this international day and is happy to display the Romani flag here at the Embassy! International Romani Day celebrates Romani culture and raises awareness of the economic and social issues facing Romani people. There are approximately 250,000-300,000 Roma in the Czech Republic. Canada recognizes the importance of promoting understanding between Roma and non-Roma people and Roma integration in the Czech Republic. For Canada, inclusion and diversity are part of our fabric and a source of openness, acceptance, progress and prosperity," the embassy's Facebook profile reads.
The Embassy of the United States of America also displayed the Romani flag on Wednesday, 5 April. "International Romani Day is not just an occasion to express respect for Romani culture and heritage, but also to remind us all that it is necessary to change our approach toward people who find themselves on the outskirts of society. It is also an opportunity to publicly support the equality and inclusion of all Romani people," the embassy's statement said.
The north Bohemian city of Liberec, the fifth-largest in the Czech Republic, has also decided to officially mark International Romani Day this year. The international Romani flag is being flown on the City Hall and Regional Authority buildings there.
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- Roma in Jihlava, Czech Republic prevented from renting space for International Romani Day, celebrations proceeding anyway
- Czech Republic: International Romani Day 2017 - events country-wide
- Oksana Marafioti: Writing is a constant discovery for me
- Czech Cardinal on International Romani Day: We are all members of the same Christian family
- Slovak Romani people travelling to visit relatives not allowed on planes in Warsaw, some have lost their life savings
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Czech Human Rights Minister responds to US report by asserting Government is addressing Romani issues
- Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Coronavirus: Three Lessons for International Roma Day
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed