American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
The Ambassador of Canada to the Czech Republic, Barbara Richardson, put up the Romani flag yesterday afternoon at the embassy. "On April 8, International Romani Day is celebrated all around the world. Ambassador Richardson supports this international day and is happy to display the Romani flag here at the Embassy! International Romani Day celebrates Romani culture and raises awareness of the economic and social issues facing Romani people. There are approximately 250,000-300,000 Roma in the Czech Republic. Canada recognizes the importance of promoting understanding between Roma and non-Roma people and Roma integration in the Czech Republic. For Canada, inclusion and diversity are part of our fabric and a source of openness, acceptance, progress and prosperity," the embassy's Facebook profile reads.
The Embassy of the United States of America also displayed the Romani flag on Wednesday, 5 April. "International Romani Day is not just an occasion to express respect for Romani culture and heritage, but also to remind us all that it is necessary to change our approach toward people who find themselves on the outskirts of society. It is also an opportunity to publicly support the equality and inclusion of all Romani people," the embassy's statement said.
The north Bohemian city of Liberec, the fifth-largest in the Czech Republic, has also decided to officially mark International Romani Day this year. The international Romani flag is being flown on the City Hall and Regional Authority buildings there.
- PHOTO GALLERY: Brno celebrations of International Romani Day - ribbons on the Tree of Tolerance, program at Hvězdička Park
- Roma in Jihlava, Czech Republic prevented from renting space for International Romani Day, celebrations proceeding anyway
- Czech Republic: International Romani Day 2017 - events country-wide
- Oksana Marafioti: Writing is a constant discovery for me
- Czech Cardinal on International Romani Day: We are all members of the same Christian family
- Slovak Romani people travelling to visit relatives not allowed on planes in Warsaw, some have lost their life savings
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Czech Republic: Historian confims remarkable story of Romani war hero Imrich Horváth with military archival documents
- Czech Human Rights Minister responds to US report by asserting Government is addressing Romani issues
- Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
- Karel Holomek: Migration crisis not new, Roma migrated from Slovakia post-WWII and to Canada post-1989
- Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
- Čeněk Růžička receives human rights prize from the US Ambassador to the Czech Republic for his contribution to Romani Holocaust recognition
- Canada removes plaque from its first National Holocaust Monument after backlash
- Romani amateur theater group from Slovakia pokes fun at the cult of youth
- Czech Republic: Discussion on Romani characters in literature part of the KHAMORO festival
- Slovak Ambassador at Romani genocide commemoration: Honoring the memory of victims of racial hatred is important for all countries
- Czech Republic: 6th annual Ghettofest in Brno to feature Romani recording studio Amaro Records
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- Karel Holomek calls on Romani voters not to re-elect Czech President Zeman
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Czech presidential candidate Michal Horáček on International Romani Day: Believe in yourselves, go for your dreams
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- News server Romea.cz to broadcast LIVE ONLINE from Prague celebrations of International Romani Day
Tags:Canada, International Roma Day, romská kultura, velvyslanectví
Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"7.2.2018 16:32
concentration camp at Lety u Písku, a site of the genocide of the Roma during the Second World War. When asked today whether he supports removing Okamura from his post as vice-chair of the lower house, as the Christian Democrats propose, the PM said he considers Okamura's apology to have been sufficient.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.