Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
Araceli Cañadas Ortega of Camelamos Naquerar in Spain gave the following remarks about Romani women during the Roma Initiatives Office's online International Roma Day celebration. News server Romea.cz is publishing them here in English translation.
Remarks by Araceli Cañadas Ortega
Greetings, all my cousins, I hope this finds you well.
Today is April 8th. The strangest April 8th we have experienced, but also one that offers us an opportunity to reflect on what really matters. This year we won’t be distracted by celebrations or by taking pictures. This year, we comprehend the full meaning of the greeting "Health and freedom".
We also comprehend how the Roma people have always lived and resisted when faced with any difficulty, no matter how large. Roma resistance to exclusion, our resistance to the negation of our identity, our resistance to assimilation, to domination, to the instrumentalization that would make us appear to be the source of all ills and have us embody all the fears of racist minds in unfounded rumors spread by the media and social networks.
The Roma resistance that we learn from our mothers and fathers, our aunts and uncles, our grandmothers and grandfathers, and that we teach to our sons and daughters.
The Roma resistance that is born from a sense of community, of union, that is born of shared strength and wisdom. The Roma resistance rooted in knowing how to see and read situations in order to be one step ahead of things, able to confront them with the community in mind: to think of everyone, not just oneself.
Exemplary in our resistance is the strength of Roma women. Once again, in the pandemic we are experiencing now, Roma women demonstrate their wisdom and capacity to organize. Before any town hall, any government, any public or private institution, before anyone could even react, Roma women were already talking among themselves, figuring out who might be in a tight corner, what their difficulties might be, who would need medicines or food or cleaning supplies or hygienic materials or anything else. Roma women organized and continue to organize this firsthand information in order to share it with the relevant institutions and demand that they provide an adequate response.
Roma women who, in the confinement of their homes, care for and sustain life every day, every hour: they organize, clean, cook, listen, counsel and assist the elderly, children and their peers, mitigating and resolving the tensions produced by this agonizing situation, all in houses of less than 70 square meters inhabited by families of at least five members. Roma women who find the time when there is no time to call those who are alone, worried or ill. Roma women who are a light in the darkness, peace and harmony in the midst of chaos. Thus it has ever been, and will be so always.
Roma women, roots of the community, roots of the networks that support us, roots of love and care for our people. Roots of love and care for life, for health, and for freedom and the demand for the rights that have always been denied us, that are still being denied us.
Roma women who gather the stream of our people’s wisdom and transmit it to our children, from one generation to the next, through their food, their song, their dance, their words and their actions.
Long life to the brave Roma women!
Translated from the Spanish.
- North Macedonia: Investigation of death of pregnant Romani woman denied care for days despite being in labor
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- KHAMORO World Romani Festival marks International Romani Day with online anthem performance
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Czech town puts "container housing" for Romani-inhabited locality on hold, former ombudswoman recommended cancelling it altogether
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech Government adopts neutral position on bill to compensate women who were illegally sterilized
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Spanish MP of Romani origin calls on OSCE to focus on greater participation of Roma in politics
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Spain: Two Romani men and two Romani women elected to national legislature, an historic success
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Hungarian Supreme Court says camerawoman who kicked asylum-seekers committed misdemeanor and can no longer be prosecuted
- Demonstration in Barcelona calls on Spanish state to receive more refugees
- Spain: 80 years since the martyrdom of Cefferino Gimenéz Malla
- Film screening sheds light on Spain’s Romani Gypsy culture
- Pandemic cancels Czech celebrations of 102nd anniversary of an independent Czechoslovakia
- Slovak fascist politician claimed COVID-19 didn't exist. Now he has it.
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow