Athens Prefect on Votanikos Roma settlements: “This wretched situation honors no one”
GHM informed today the Athens Prefect for its action for those Roma over the last one and a half year and the letters sent, in one case along with nine other Greek and international NGOs, to the authorities that have remained unanswered. The Prefect was also informed on the visit of the UN Special Rapporteur on Children who included a reference in his report. GHM agrees with the description of the situation by the Prefect and adds that hundreds of children of these settlements are excluded from all schools. GHM also stated that any solutions should be agreed by the Roma concerned.
GHM the only organization that represents them, has made themselves available to the Prefecture and any other authority to inform them and cooperate with them on behalf of the Roma as well.
- Greece approves crisis fund for Romani settlements during COVID-19
- Czech lower house will not discuss accepting unaccompanied minor refugees - ANO, Communists, SocDems and ultra-nationalists opposed it
- "Czechs Are Helping" Initiative says number of families willing to house children from Greek refugee camps is rising, Interior Minister unmoved
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Czech Republic to receive 10 refugees from camps in Greece and as many as 80 Syrians from camps in Turkey