Austria: Ultra-right extremists assault university rector during lecture
A lecture at a university in the southern Austrian town of Klagenfurt was disrupted on 10 June by approximately 10 adherents of the ultra-right who burst into the lecture hall shouting with megaphones. Rector Oliver Vitouch told the Austrian Press Agency that one of them proceeded to strike him in the belly.
Vitouch told the group to leave, but they only did so after he called police. The rector attempted to detain one of the men, who struck him.
"I wanted to learn his identity, but that was apparently not to his liking," Vitouch said of the scuffle. The group involved is said to be part of the so-called "identitarian movement" in Europe.
German secret services consider that movement to be ultra-right and the Austrian secret services are of the same opinion. The Austrian authorities say the movement espouses "protecting" Europe from "Islamization" and from mass immigration and does its best to advocate for a nationalist, racist worldview, according to the Austrian newspaper Kurier.
Two months ago, so-called "identitarians" burst into an assembly hall at a university in Vienna to unfurl a banner reading "Multiculturalism Kills". There were approximately 700 people seated there at the time and the rioters spray-painted them with red paint.
- Austria: Arsonists set future asylum-seeker shelter on fire
- Austrian neo-Nazi massacres festival-goers
- Hundreds protest border closure between Austria and Italy and demand a border-free Europe
- Austria: Arson attacks against Romani families from Romania
- Austrian Chancellor: Fences will not solve the problem of refugees
- Austria: Not even refugee crisis could bring the ultra-right full victory, SocDems still rule Vienna
- VIDEO: Austrian gives refugees a ride - look what happened next!
- Austria: 20 000 demonstrate in support of receiving refugees
- Austrian Interior Minister: Countries that reject refugee redistribution should lose EU money
- Hungary arrests five over refugee deaths, Austrian authorities save intercepted children
- Austria reports 71 refugees died in refrigerator truck, four of them children
- Austrian Police discover as many as 50 dead refugees in refrigerator truck
- Austrian Chancellor criticizes Czech Republic for rejecting EU quotas on refugee reception
- Austria bans hidden Islamist and Nazi codes on license plates
- Austrian capital to build memorial to the homosexual victims of Nazism
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Antigypsyism and antisemitism rooted in European culture for centuries, experts discuss the causes of online hate
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right