Austria: Ultra-right extremists assault university rector during lecture
A lecture at a university in the southern Austrian town of Klagenfurt was disrupted on 10 June by approximately 10 adherents of the ultra-right who burst into the lecture hall shouting with megaphones. Rector Oliver Vitouch told the Austrian Press Agency that one of them proceeded to strike him in the belly.
Vitouch told the group to leave, but they only did so after he called police. The rector attempted to detain one of the men, who struck him.
"I wanted to learn his identity, but that was apparently not to his liking," Vitouch said of the scuffle. The group involved is said to be part of the so-called "identitarian movement" in Europe.
German secret services consider that movement to be ultra-right and the Austrian secret services are of the same opinion. The Austrian authorities say the movement espouses "protecting" Europe from "Islamization" and from mass immigration and does its best to advocate for a nationalist, racist worldview, according to the Austrian newspaper Kurier.
Two months ago, so-called "identitarians" burst into an assembly hall at a university in Vienna to unfurl a banner reading "Multiculturalism Kills". There were approximately 700 people seated there at the time and the rioters spray-painted them with red paint.
- Austria: Arsonists set future asylum-seeker shelter on fire
- Austrian neo-Nazi massacres festival-goers
- Hundreds protest border closure between Austria and Italy and demand a border-free Europe
- Austria: Arson attacks against Romani families from Romania
- Austrian Chancellor: Fences will not solve the problem of refugees
- Austria: Not even refugee crisis could bring the ultra-right full victory, SocDems still rule Vienna
- VIDEO: Austrian gives refugees a ride - look what happened next!
- Austria: 20 000 demonstrate in support of receiving refugees
- Austrian Interior Minister: Countries that reject refugee redistribution should lose EU money
- Hungary arrests five over refugee deaths, Austrian authorities save intercepted children
- Austria reports 71 refugees died in refrigerator truck, four of them children
- Austrian Police discover as many as 50 dead refugees in refrigerator truck
- Austrian Chancellor criticizes Czech Republic for rejecting EU quotas on refugee reception
- Austria bans hidden Islamist and Nazi codes on license plates
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Slovak fascist politician claimed COVID-19 didn't exist. Now he has it.
- Ten years on from neo-Nazi arson conviction, Czech attorney warns it could happen again
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Slovak media and NGOs welcome conviction of right-wing extremist
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Czech Senate election: Romani candidate says right-wing extremists could take power unless people vote for their competitors