Austria: Ultra-right extremists assault university rector during lecture
A lecture at a university in the southern Austrian town of Klagenfurt was disrupted on 10 June by approximately 10 adherents of the ultra-right who burst into the lecture hall shouting with megaphones. Rector Oliver Vitouch told the Austrian Press Agency that one of them proceeded to strike him in the belly.
Vitouch told the group to leave, but they only did so after he called police. The rector attempted to detain one of the men, who struck him.
"I wanted to learn his identity, but that was apparently not to his liking," Vitouch said of the scuffle. The group involved is said to be part of the so-called "identitarian movement" in Europe.
German secret services consider that movement to be ultra-right and the Austrian secret services are of the same opinion. The Austrian authorities say the movement espouses "protecting" Europe from "Islamization" and from mass immigration and does its best to advocate for a nationalist, racist worldview, according to the Austrian newspaper Kurier.
Two months ago, so-called "identitarians" burst into an assembly hall at a university in Vienna to unfurl a banner reading "Multiculturalism Kills". There were approximately 700 people seated there at the time and the rioters spray-painted them with red paint.
- Austria: Arsonists set future asylum-seeker shelter on fire
- Austrian neo-Nazi massacres festival-goers
- Hundreds protest border closure between Austria and Italy and demand a border-free Europe
- Austria: Arson attacks against Romani families from Romania
- Austrian Chancellor: Fences will not solve the problem of refugees
- Austria: Not even refugee crisis could bring the ultra-right full victory, SocDems still rule Vienna
- VIDEO: Austrian gives refugees a ride - look what happened next!
- Austria: 20 000 demonstrate in support of receiving refugees
- Austrian Interior Minister: Countries that reject refugee redistribution should lose EU money
- Hungary arrests five over refugee deaths, Austrian authorities save intercepted children
- Austria reports 71 refugees died in refrigerator truck, four of them children
- Austrian Police discover as many as 50 dead refugees in refrigerator truck
- Austrian Chancellor criticizes Czech Republic for rejecting EU quotas on refugee reception
- Austria bans hidden Islamist and Nazi codes on license plates
- Austria rescinds ban on adoption by same-sex couples
- Czech Republic: Arrested neo-Nazi also sought by Austria
- Austria: Former Czech Foreign Minister warns of racism
- Austrian court convicts seven men of neo-Nazi activity
- Slovakia: Chair of neo-Nazi party indicted for using Nazi symbols on checks
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- German Police find right-wing extremists' list of 25 000 "enemies"
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 16:00 in Prague: RomanoNet protests discrimination and racism against Roma in Europe, publishes manifesto Dost! Basta! Enough!
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- In Prague and other European cities, Romani people and their allies to protest recent violence against Roma in Ukraine
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community: Žilina is a textbook example of hate crime
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- OSCE Mission to Serbia responds to Romani NGOs about alleged radicalization, references British Council report
Tags:Austria, Extremism, Islamophobia, Násilí, Nenávist, Neo-Nazism, radikálové
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.