Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
Karvay was born in Vrútky, Czechoslovakia and began to play violin under his father's direction at the age of three. He attended the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna, where he studied under the world-famous Professor Boris Kuschnir, and he has won many international competitions, such as the VIIIth International Meeting of Young Musicians in Córdoba (1996), the Eurovision Competition for Young Musicians in Berlin (2002), the Concours International de Violon Tibor Varga in Switzerland (2003), the "New Talent" International Music Competition in Bratislava (2005) and the David Oistrakh International Violin Competition in Moscow (2008).
He has worked with musicians such as Leif Segersta, Jaap van Zweden and Mistislav Rostropovich, with whom he performed in concert for Prince Charles at Windsor Castle in 2003. His other notable collaborations have been with the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Camerata Salzburg, the Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa, the Czech Philharmonic, the Het Gelders Orkest, the Solistes Européens Luxembourg and the Slovak Philharmonic.
The virtuoso is also a professor at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna and performs on an instrument crafted by Viennese violin maker Julia Maria Pasch. He is replacing Jan Pospichal, who retired as first concertmaster last month.
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Czech Philharmonic will continue collaboration with Romani musician Ida Kelarová
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Romani musician Ida Kelarová to present young Romani musicians she has coached in concert Friday with the Czech Philharmonic
- Czech Philharmonic joins Romani musician Ida Kelarová and Čhavorenge choir for tour of Šluknov foothills
- Gifted Romani musician succeeding brilliantly in USA
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Slovak court says school, not state, is responsible for segregating Romani children
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Slovak Prosecutor says party head clearly used neo-Nazi symbolism so his followers would know his views
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- European Court of Human Rights rules against Slovakia in case of police brutality against Roma
- Slovak President commemorates WWII-era National Uprising to which Roma also contributed
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle