Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
Karvay was born in Vrútky, Czechoslovakia and began to play violin under his father's direction at the age of three. He attended the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna, where he studied under the world-famous Professor Boris Kuschnir, and he has won many international competitions, such as the VIIIth International Meeting of Young Musicians in Córdoba (1996), the Eurovision Competition for Young Musicians in Berlin (2002), the Concours International de Violon Tibor Varga in Switzerland (2003), the "New Talent" International Music Competition in Bratislava (2005) and the David Oistrakh International Violin Competition in Moscow (2008).
He has worked with musicians such as Leif Segersta, Jaap van Zweden and Mistislav Rostropovich, with whom he performed in concert for Prince Charles at Windsor Castle in 2003. His other notable collaborations have been with the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Camerata Salzburg, the Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa, the Czech Philharmonic, the Het Gelders Orkest, the Solistes Européens Luxembourg and the Slovak Philharmonic.
The virtuoso is also a professor at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna and performs on an instrument crafted by Viennese violin maker Julia Maria Pasch. He is replacing Jan Pospichal, who retired as first concertmaster last month.
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Czech Philharmonic will continue collaboration with Romani musician Ida Kelarová
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Romani musician Ida Kelarová to present young Romani musicians she has coached in concert Friday with the Czech Philharmonic
- Czech Philharmonic joins Romani musician Ida Kelarová and Čhavorenge choir for tour of Šluknov foothills
- Gifted Romani musician succeeding brilliantly in USA
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Slovak town bans demonstration by fascists out of respect for Holocaust victims
- Commentary by Czech MEP Zdechovský: Roma need work, not welfare!
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Slovak Government says new data show quality of life for Roma is gradually improving