Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
Karvay was born in Vrútky, Czechoslovakia and began to play violin under his father's direction at the age of three. He attended the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna, where he studied under the world-famous Professor Boris Kuschnir, and he has won many international competitions, such as the VIIIth International Meeting of Young Musicians in Córdoba (1996), the Eurovision Competition for Young Musicians in Berlin (2002), the Concours International de Violon Tibor Varga in Switzerland (2003), the "New Talent" International Music Competition in Bratislava (2005) and the David Oistrakh International Violin Competition in Moscow (2008).
He has worked with musicians such as Leif Segersta, Jaap van Zweden and Mistislav Rostropovich, with whom he performed in concert for Prince Charles at Windsor Castle in 2003. His other notable collaborations have been with the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Camerata Salzburg, the Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa, the Czech Philharmonic, the Het Gelders Orkest, the Solistes Européens Luxembourg and the Slovak Philharmonic.
The virtuoso is also a professor at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna and performs on an instrument crafted by Viennese violin maker Julia Maria Pasch. He is replacing Jan Pospichal, who retired as first concertmaster last month.
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Czech Philharmonic will continue collaboration with Romani musician Ida Kelarová
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Romani musician Ida Kelarová to present young Romani musicians she has coached in concert Friday with the Czech Philharmonic
- Czech Philharmonic joins Romani musician Ida Kelarová and Čhavorenge choir for tour of Šluknov foothills
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Poland: Art exhibition sparks accusations of antisemitism and other bigotries
- Čhavorenge Romani children's choir and the Czech Philharmonic perform in the Romani settlements of Slovakia
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Government apologizes to Romani community for brutal police raid in 2013
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Roma Community says biased media coverage of animal abuse could spark anti-Romani hatred
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week