Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
Karvay was born in Vrútky, Czechoslovakia and began to play violin under his father's direction at the age of three. He attended the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna, where he studied under the world-famous Professor Boris Kuschnir, and he has won many international competitions, such as the VIIIth International Meeting of Young Musicians in Córdoba (1996), the Eurovision Competition for Young Musicians in Berlin (2002), the Concours International de Violon Tibor Varga in Switzerland (2003), the "New Talent" International Music Competition in Bratislava (2005) and the David Oistrakh International Violin Competition in Moscow (2008).
He has worked with musicians such as Leif Segersta, Jaap van Zweden and Mistislav Rostropovich, with whom he performed in concert for Prince Charles at Windsor Castle in 2003. His other notable collaborations have been with the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Camerata Salzburg, the Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa, the Czech Philharmonic, the Het Gelders Orkest, the Solistes Européens Luxembourg and the Slovak Philharmonic.
The virtuoso is also a professor at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna and performs on an instrument crafted by Viennese violin maker Julia Maria Pasch. He is replacing Jan Pospichal, who retired as first concertmaster last month.
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Czech Philharmonic will continue collaboration with Romani musician Ida Kelarová
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- Romani musician Ida Kelarová to present young Romani musicians she has coached in concert Friday with the Czech Philharmonic
- Czech Philharmonic joins Romani musician Ida Kelarová and Čhavorenge choir for tour of Šluknov foothills
- Gifted Romani musician succeeding brilliantly in USA
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities tells PM to either fire him or let him do his job
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Analysis: Slovak elections a Pyrrhic victory despite number of Roma elected
- Slovak elections: Opposition OLaNO wins, no growth in votes for fascist party