Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
The most recent season of the Belgian branch of the music show "The Voice Kids 2017" has been won by 13-year-old Katarina Pohlodková, whose parents are originally from Slovakia. She fought her way through to the final round with the song "She Believes in Me", the Kenny Rogers song covered in the 1980s by the Belgian singer André Hazes, and the song "Empire State of Mind", which Alicia Keys made a mega-hit.
Her victory entitles her to a scholarship worth EUR 10 000 and the opportunity to record her own single. Her version of Whitney Houson's hit "I Have Nothing" will be available on iTunes on Monday, 3 July.
"The last few months have taught me a lot," the singer told Belgian TV. "I never dreamed of winning this entire competition. It's wonderful that I have the opportunity to release my own single."
The girl, who was referred to as "Whitney Houston 2.0" by one of the jurors, performed excellently throughout the contest, which included performing the current hit song "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit. Her family has been living in Belgium for more than 20 years and her older sisters sing in a Belgian band.
Pohlodková's remarkable musical talent is said to have been clear from early childhood. By now, however, she has lost much of her native language of Slovak after living so long in Belgium.
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Poland: Art exhibition sparks accusations of antisemitism and other bigotries
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Čhavorenge Romani children's choir and the Czech Philharmonic perform in the Romani settlements of Slovakia
- Romania: "Gipsycoin" cryptocurrency launched by Romani community leader
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions