Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
The most recent season of the Belgian branch of the music show "The Voice Kids 2017" has been won by 13-year-old Katarina Pohlodková, whose parents are originally from Slovakia. She fought her way through to the final round with the song "She Believes in Me", the Kenny Rogers song covered in the 1980s by the Belgian singer André Hazes, and the song "Empire State of Mind", which Alicia Keys made a mega-hit.
Her victory entitles her to a scholarship worth EUR 10 000 and the opportunity to record her own single. Her version of Whitney Houson's hit "I Have Nothing" will be available on iTunes on Monday, 3 July.
"The last few months have taught me a lot," the singer told Belgian TV. "I never dreamed of winning this entire competition. It's wonderful that I have the opportunity to release my own single."
The girl, who was referred to as "Whitney Houston 2.0" by one of the jurors, performed excellently throughout the contest, which included performing the current hit song "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit. Her family has been living in Belgium for more than 20 years and her older sisters sing in a Belgian band.
Pohlodková's remarkable musical talent is said to have been clear from early childhood. By now, however, she has lost much of her native language of Slovak after living so long in Belgium.
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- Belgian mayor drives Romani campers out with loud music
- Czech census sees 65 % rise in number of people declaring Romani nationality
- Slovak court finally ends absurd story of Romani victims of police brutality being charged with perjury, exonerating the last such defendant
- Slovak first-instance court rules that Romani children were unlawfully assigned to "special needs" classes
- Andrea Bučková's time as Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma is over, new Plenipotentiary is Ján Hero
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech capital to see announcement of awards for children's Romanes-language literature, video and visual art today - Romano suno 2021
- Romani artist from Serbia portrays death of Stanislav Tomáš, exhibition in Prague closes 9 December
- Jarmila Balážová: Petr Uhl stood up for Romani people many times
- DNA samples of Romani people taken to ascertain their ethnic origin were handled unethically and the data was misused
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Slovak Government apologizes for illegal sterilizations, lawyer and Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community say compensation must follow
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA