Boxer Tyson Fury, proud of his Irish Traveller origin, has challenged Wladimir Klitschko
BBC.com reports that Tyson Fury, the British professional boxer who is the current EBU heavyweight champion and has embraced his Irish Traveller heritage, will be the next challenger to Wladimir Klitschko. Last Saturday night Klitschko reconfirmed his position as world champion, defending his heavyweight title.
Fury won the European heavyweight title against Christian Hammer. He defeated the Romanian with a technical knockout in the eight round, making the match his 24th victory.
The British boxer believes he is able to defeat Klitschko. "I'm ready for him," Fury told the BBC.
The 26-year-old Fury has already officially challeged the Ukrainian heavyweight champion. Klitschko must accept the challenge in order to defend his title.
Fury has previously said he is proud of his origins. He was born in Manchester into an Irish Traveller family.
His father named him Tyson after the American world boxing champion Mike Tyson. Fury is not afraid to talk about his experiences with prejudice and racism.
"Mostly it's just Facebook warriors. I know I could take them apart like a pitbull if I wanted to, but I don't do it because that just means it hurts them all the more when I win in the ring," Fury told news server Independent.uk.
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag