Bulgarian man who abused Romani youth convicted of racially-motivated attack
Last week the District Court in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria, reviewed the case of a racist attack perpetrated by Angel Kaleev. In April of this year, Kaleev assaulted a Romani youth, Mitko Jonkov, after Jonkov dared to assert that he and Kaleev were equals.
According to information published by the Budapest-based European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC), the court came to the conclusion that Kaleev is guilty of committing an ethnically-motivated hate attack against an individual (per Article 126, paragraph 2 CC of Bulgarian law). The court has sentenced Kaleev to an 11-month imprisonment, deferred for a probationary period of three years.
In addition, Kaleev must also perform community service work. The ERRC believes this is the first-ever case of the Bulgarian justice system deciding to acknowledge racial motivation for a violent crime committed against a member of an ethnic minority.
"In Bulgaria we are used to seeing investigators and prosecutors ignoring racist crimes and by all means refusing to recognize them as such so that the mere submission of an indictment for a racially motivated crime in this case is a big success. In this sense, the agreement reached in this case is a breakthrough and [we] hope that investigators and prosecutors across the country will adopt this practice," said Margarita Ilieva, Legal Director of the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee (BHC).
The case, which news server Romea.cz reported on previously, shocked the Bulgarian public and sparked a wave of solidarity with the victim. A video recording of the incident taken by the assailant using a mobile phone shows roughly rwo minutes of his aggressive, brutal bullying of young Mitko.
After the video was published, the aggressor said he did not feel guilty and that he is a proud Bulgarian nationalist. The Romani victim of his attack grew up an orphan and is currently working and caring for four brothers.
A total of 800 000 Romani people live in Bulgaria. Similar cases of violence against them there occur regularly.
- Bulgaria: Anti-Romani protests in southern town of Radnevo
- Commentary: Standing with Mitko against racist violence in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria: Romani "imam" arrested last year for allegedly joining the so-called Islamic State
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Bulgarian Helsinki Committee: Opportunistic politicians evicting Roma for political gain
- Bulgarian NGOs get injunction suspending demolition of Roma homes in Peshtera
- Bulgaria and France reprimanded by UN Human Rights Commissioner over Roma displacement
- Bulgaria: Romani dwellings demolished in Varna
- Bulgaria Must Stop Its Anti-Roma Attacks
- Gallup poll shows Roma isolation from Bulgarian society has intensified over the last 20 years
- Bulgaria: Nationalists exert political pressure to override suspension of Romani home demolitions
- European Court of Justice finds Czech utility discriminates against Roma in Bulgaria
- MEP and OSCE/ODIHR call for evictions of Roma to end in Bulgaria
- Bulgarian NGO to sue over ongoing forced demolition of Romani homes in Garmen
- Bulgaria: Switzerland investing in Roma integration there
- Bulgaria: Roma at home and abroad respond to violence committed during anti-Romani protests
- Bulgaria: Roma respond to anti-Romani protests in the capital
- Bulgaria: Mayor plans referendum in which Roma cannot vote
- Bulgaria: Regional governor says situation in Garmen is calming down
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Bulgarian officials exploiting fear of COVID-19 to discriminate against Roma
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders