Canada: High percentage of indigenous people among murder victims
Canada is increasingly becoming a safer country, at least when it comes to violent deaths. This year the number of murders in the state of 35 million reached its lowest level in half a century.
Those are the findings of official statistics published on Wednesday. However, a disproportionately high percentage of such victims are indigenous inhabitants.
The overall number of murders per 100 000 inhabitants fell in the country during 2014 to 1.45, while in the neighboring United States, where it is significantly easier to acquire a firearm, the number during the previous year was 4.6 per 100 000. Canada has now achieved its best results since 1966.
The high percentage of indigenous people among murder victims remains a problem, though. Almost every fourth Canadian shot dead last year was indigenous, even though such persons comprise less than 5 % of the population.
Half of the indigenous peoples in Canada live on reservations with high unemployment and impoverished living conditions, where a high percentage of people are dependent on addictive substances and there is also a significant degree of suicide. The new Canadian Government of PM Justin Trudeau (Liberal Party) has promised to review the unsolved deaths of indigenous women, more than 1 000 of whom were found murdered between 1980 and 2012.
- Canadian airline could be sued for not honoring tickets purchased by Romani passengers
- Canada now accepting more Roma asylum-seekers from Hungary as evidence of persecution accumulates
- Two Romani families not allowed to board flight from Prague to Canada, no explanation given
- Pope Francis asks forgiveness for crimes against indigenous people and criticizes "new colonialism"
- Canada accused of racially profiling Roma travellers from Hungary at European airport
- Hungary: Life in prison for murdering Romani people
- British folk singer Sam Lee: "Gypsies are our Indians"
- Situation of Native Americans similar to that of Czech Roma
- Wales: Young Traveller Accused of 1976 Murder May Get His Name Cleared
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Commentary: Why we need data about Romani pupils, and not only about them
- USA: African-American sniper kills five white police officers in Dallas after two African-American civilians killed by police elsewhere
- Italy: Racist murders refugee who fled Boko Haram
- UK: MP Cox, who opposed "Brexit" and supported refugee reception, has been murdered
- Czech Republic: Canadian Ambassador attends International Romani Day event, embassy displays Romani flag
- Attila Balogh Hidvégi on serial murders in Hungary: Even brutal crimes did not spark Romani solidarity
- Inclusive education in Canada is a reality
- Karel Holomek: Do Roma fall into poverty from the same causes and in the same way as everyone else?
Tags:Canada, data disaggregated by ethnicity, indigenous people, murders
Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat17.9.2017 17:51
Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"15.9.2017 14:43
He will be losing his quarterly salary as a result.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.