Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
Romani community member Václav Sivák won gold in the Kickboxing Senior World Championships held over the weekend in Sarajevo, defeating a challenger from Kazakhstan in the final match to become the first-ever Kickboxing World Champion from the Czech Republic. The contest was organized by the prestigious World Association of Kickboxing Organizations (WAKO).
That international kickboxing organization certifies amateur kickboxing competitions. Its governing body manages the sport at amateur level.
"History has been made! On 25 October 2019, Czech Kickboxing entered the annals of that sport," the official website of the Czech Union of Full-Contact and Other Martial Arts posted to its official web page.
"Václav Sivák has become the first Czech citizen in history to become World Champion in the male category of the K-1 discipline," the official Czech website for the sport reported. The young Romani athlete winning the gold has also been designated the biggest success in the history of Czech Kickboxing to date by other web pages that cover this martial art.
"Vašek Sivák did it, he became the world champion in WAKO Kickboxing. Big congratulations, this is the biggest success in the history of Czech amateur kickboxing for a male!" the web page FightNews.cz reported.
"He has confirmed his super-talent," FightNews.cz said of the win. Sivák has many successes behind him in the K-1 discipline, in which he is now the reigning champion.
In 2017 Sivák became the Junior World Champion of Europe, and in 2018 he won in the male category at an international championship in the Czech Republic. Sports media outlets report that he is one of the biggest talents in this discipline in the Czech Republic.
Sivák grew up in an excluded locality, and it did not take much for him to end up on a downward path. His father guided him toward sports, though, which saved him from the street and allowed him to find his own way forward.
Currently Sivák is the reigning champion in the K-1 discipline for men weighing 67 kg or less. Last year he won gold in the junior championships, for example, at a WAKO competition in Skopje, Macedonia in the K-1 category for men weighing 63.5 kg or less.
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today