Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
According to a Member of the European Parliament (EP) from the Czech Republic, Tomáš Zdechovský, the commemoration of International Romani Day is very necessary. The MEP made his remarks during a debate about International Romani Day that took place at the EP on Thursday, 6 April 2017.
Zdechovský made his remarks in response to several racist MEPs who attacked Romani people across the board in their remarks. "This debate demonstrates how necessary it is to commemorate this Romani Day," said the MEP for the Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL).
He described the four years that he spent as a street worker in a Romani community. "It is interesting to see how their coexistence with the majority group in Czech society has changed their culture in a significant way. Romani people are different, and that's what this debate is about. We must acknowledge this difference," he said, adding that Romani people do have problems such as criminal involvement and drug abuse.
The MEP said he believes it is necessary to ask why that is and how we can change it. "In the European Union there are several million Romani people - maybe more than some of the other nationalities who are represented in the European Parliament - but the Roma do not have a voice here. How many MEPs are of Romani nationality? How many people from the Romani community have made it here? How many people from the Romani people have the ability to study?" he asked.
"We can abuse these people and give examples of how they drive around in Mercedes while letting their children run wild in the street - but why not show the examples of Romani people who work as doctors, lawyers, police officers, who go to Italy to wipe the asses of Italian pensioners?" he responded to the anti-Romani attacks made by other MEPs. "Why don't you talk about the Romani people who create society together with us and are involved in the normal labor process?"
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
- European Parliament supports Commission's proposal for refugee redistribution
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 16:00 in Prague: RomanoNet protests discrimination and racism against Roma in Europe, publishes manifesto Dost! Basta! Enough!
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- Italy asks Czech Republic to receive asylum-seekers, Czech PM refuses
- European Parliament: Shouting matches over Italian "census" of Roma - Járóka finds it reasonable, Post calls for a halt
- France: Le Pen and Co. continue to embezzle EU taxpayer money
- Italian Interior Minister threatens to cancel police protection for crimefighting author who criticizes his anti-Roma attitude
- Italian Interior Minister insists on "census" of Roma despite criticism
Tags:European Parliament, International Roma Day, intolerance, Italy
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.