Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
According to a Member of the European Parliament (EP) from the Czech Republic, Tomáš Zdechovský, the commemoration of International Romani Day is very necessary. The MEP made his remarks during a debate about International Romani Day that took place at the EP on Thursday, 6 April 2017.
Zdechovský made his remarks in response to several racist MEPs who attacked Romani people across the board in their remarks. "This debate demonstrates how necessary it is to commemorate this Romani Day," said the MEP for the Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL).
He described the four years that he spent as a street worker in a Romani community. "It is interesting to see how their coexistence with the majority group in Czech society has changed their culture in a significant way. Romani people are different, and that's what this debate is about. We must acknowledge this difference," he said, adding that Romani people do have problems such as criminal involvement and drug abuse.
The MEP said he believes it is necessary to ask why that is and how we can change it. "In the European Union there are several million Romani people - maybe more than some of the other nationalities who are represented in the European Parliament - but the Roma do not have a voice here. How many MEPs are of Romani nationality? How many people from the Romani community have made it here? How many people from the Romani people have the ability to study?" he asked.
"We can abuse these people and give examples of how they drive around in Mercedes while letting their children run wild in the street - but why not show the examples of Romani people who work as doctors, lawyers, police officers, who go to Italy to wipe the asses of Italian pensioners?" he responded to the anti-Romani attacks made by other MEPs. "Why don't you talk about the Romani people who create society together with us and are involved in the normal labor process?"
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
- European Parliament supports Commission's proposal for refugee redistribution
- Inspiration from Sweden could aid Czech Republic with combating disinformation
- Italian theater cancels neo-Fascist concert co-opting Czechoslovak historical figure, so it moves from Verona to Lazis
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Czech students protest co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure in Italy
- Italian neo-Nazis want to co-opt the legacy of Czechoslovak who set himself on fire to protest the '68 invasion
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- MEP Soraya Post supports Romani photo campaign responding to Czech President's antigypsyist remarks
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 16:00 in Prague: RomanoNet protests discrimination and racism against Roma in Europe, publishes manifesto Dost! Basta! Enough!
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow