Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
According to a Member of the European Parliament (EP) from the Czech Republic, Tomáš Zdechovský, the commemoration of International Romani Day is very necessary. The MEP made his remarks during a debate about International Romani Day that took place at the EP on Thursday, 6 April 2017.
Zdechovský made his remarks in response to several racist MEPs who attacked Romani people across the board in their remarks. "This debate demonstrates how necessary it is to commemorate this Romani Day," said the MEP for the Christian Democrats (KDU-ČSL).
He described the four years that he spent as a street worker in a Romani community. "It is interesting to see how their coexistence with the majority group in Czech society has changed their culture in a significant way. Romani people are different, and that's what this debate is about. We must acknowledge this difference," he said, adding that Romani people do have problems such as criminal involvement and drug abuse.
The MEP said he believes it is necessary to ask why that is and how we can change it. "In the European Union there are several million Romani people - maybe more than some of the other nationalities who are represented in the European Parliament - but the Roma do not have a voice here. How many MEPs are of Romani nationality? How many people from the Romani community have made it here? How many people from the Romani people have the ability to study?" he asked.
"We can abuse these people and give examples of how they drive around in Mercedes while letting their children run wild in the street - but why not show the examples of Romani people who work as doctors, lawyers, police officers, who go to Italy to wipe the asses of Italian pensioners?" he responded to the anti-Romani attacks made by other MEPs. "Why don't you talk about the Romani people who create society together with us and are involved in the normal labor process?"
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
- European Parliament supports Commission's proposal for refugee redistribution
- Italian Interior Minister insists on "census" of Roma despite criticism
- Italian Interior Minister plans to deport Romani people, opposition calls the plan repugnant
- Czech PM says migration must be addressed beyond Europe's borders
- Italy: New Government demands closure of Romani encampments, redistribution of asylum-seekers by EU
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- Czech MEP Zdechovský for ROMEA TV: Romani projects must have concrete outputs like the Romani scholarships do
- EP Vice President Lívia Járóka for ROMEA TV: There are more Romani MEPs than people realize
- BBC Three Documentary Exposes Human Rights Abuses In Hungary’s State-Care Homes
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- Czech Foreign Ministry flies Romani flag, outgoing Foreign Minister and Justice Minister meet with Roma
- Czech Republic: Romani students send video message for International Romani Day
Tags:European Parliament, International Roma Day, intolerance, Italy
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.