Czech MEP Zdechovský for ROMEA TV: Romani projects must have concrete outputs like the Romani scholarships do
According to Czech MEP Tomáš Zdechovský (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL) the main aim of the EU Roma Week, which began on the occasion of International Romani Day in Brussels, is to familiarize the larger public with the Romani community. "Many people have Romani neighbors, but they know nothing about Romani culture. I believe that's a shame," he said in an interview for the Romani internet television station ROMEA TV.
Zdechovský said his understanding is that efforts to popularize the subject of Romani people have led to a decline in racist attacks in several countries and to increasing Romani people's pride in their nationality and origins. In his view, the projects the European Union supports that are related to Romani people should always have concrete outputs and results.
"The European projects after 2021 will be financed with a view to their effect, including their long-term effect. There is a far bigger role for Romani organizations envisioned who have experience with positive projects like Romani scholarships so that such organizations can successfully obtain a greater share of that money," said the MEP, who supported EU Roma Week in Brussels.
This is the third year that activists, experts, politicians and organizations combating the persistent hatred of Romani people in Europe have met at the European Parliament and other EU institutions for EU Roma Week. The meeting aims to connect Romani activists, experts and youth from EU Member States so they can contribute to developing the EU's strategy for combating antigypsyism and discuss the opportunities for addressing the situations of Romani people throughout all of Europe.
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives
- European Commission President calls on EU Member States to combat discrimination against Romani people
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- European Parliamentary delegation plans to visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- LIVE ONLINE BROADCAST 13:00 CET: Ceremonial awarding of certificates for ROMEA's scholarship program
- Czech capital to see ceremonial induction of Romani students into ROMEA scholarship program
- Central European University offers Master's degree preparatory course for Romani college students