Czech MEP Zdechovský for ROMEA TV: Romani projects must have concrete outputs like the Romani scholarships do
According to Czech MEP Tomáš Zdechovský (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL) the main aim of the EU Roma Week, which began on the occasion of International Romani Day in Brussels, is to familiarize the larger public with the Romani community. "Many people have Romani neighbors, but they know nothing about Romani culture. I believe that's a shame," he said in an interview for the Romani internet television station ROMEA TV.
Zdechovský said his understanding is that efforts to popularize the subject of Romani people have led to a decline in racist attacks in several countries and to increasing Romani people's pride in their nationality and origins. In his view, the projects the European Union supports that are related to Romani people should always have concrete outputs and results.
"The European projects after 2021 will be financed with a view to their effect, including their long-term effect. There is a far bigger role for Romani organizations envisioned who have experience with positive projects like Romani scholarships so that such organizations can successfully obtain a greater share of that money," said the MEP, who supported EU Roma Week in Brussels.
This is the third year that activists, experts, politicians and organizations combating the persistent hatred of Romani people in Europe have met at the European Parliament and other EU institutions for EU Roma Week. The meeting aims to connect Romani activists, experts and youth from EU Member States so they can contribute to developing the EU's strategy for combating antigypsyism and discuss the opportunities for addressing the situations of Romani people throughout all of Europe.
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Barbora Ellen Bilá: I want to go to college and make my grandfather's last wish come true
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year