Czech MEP Zdechovský for ROMEA TV: Romani projects must have concrete outputs like the Romani scholarships do
According to Czech MEP Tomáš Zdechovský (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL) the main aim of the EU Roma Week, which began on the occasion of International Romani Day in Brussels, is to familiarize the larger public with the Romani community. "Many people have Romani neighbors, but they know nothing about Romani culture. I believe that's a shame," he said in an interview for the Romani internet television station ROMEA TV.
Zdechovský said his understanding is that efforts to popularize the subject of Romani people have led to a decline in racist attacks in several countries and to increasing Romani people's pride in their nationality and origins. In his view, the projects the European Union supports that are related to Romani people should always have concrete outputs and results.
"The European projects after 2021 will be financed with a view to their effect, including their long-term effect. There is a far bigger role for Romani organizations envisioned who have experience with positive projects like Romani scholarships so that such organizations can successfully obtain a greater share of that money," said the MEP, who supported EU Roma Week in Brussels.
This is the third year that activists, experts, politicians and organizations combating the persistent hatred of Romani people in Europe have met at the European Parliament and other EU institutions for EU Roma Week. The meeting aims to connect Romani activists, experts and youth from EU Member States so they can contribute to developing the EU's strategy for combating antigypsyism and discuss the opportunities for addressing the situations of Romani people throughout all of Europe.
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Czech celebrations of International Romani Day head to Brussels with theater performance
- Czech primary school hires private security, ROMEA organization offers aid to the management
- Bulgarian MEP fined for giving Nazi salute at the EP, Czech MEP calls it a mild warning
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Slovak MEP Peter Pollák draws attention to unequal treatment of Romani Ukrainian refugees on the floor of the EP
- Bulgarian MEP infamous for anti-Roma rhetoric gives Nazi salute on the floor of the European Parliament
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA
- Case of Stanislav Tomáš discussed during plenary session of the European Parliament
- MEPs who visited Romani settlements in Slovakia shocked to see such horrifying living conditions in the EU
- European Commissioners and MEPs visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- European Parliament will discuss police brutality against Romani people in EU, on the basis of Czech case
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history