Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
A documentary film by Anna Babjárová of the Museum of Romani Culture, "Andrej Pešta: O Fotki" (Andrej Pešta: The Photos) has won an award for best Czech film at the Etnofilm Čadca 2018 international film festival in Čadca, Slovakia. The 20th year of this festival took place from 20-23 November as a competition among 46 films from 27 countries in 11 categories.
The total number of films submitted to the contest was 173 from 47 countries. Babjárová's film was created for the Museum of Romani Culture's traveling exhibition Andrej Pešta: Mire sveti/Světy Andreje Pešty (The Worlds of Andrej Pešta) and this is the second prize it has won.
The film was first appreciated at a contest for films about museums, MUSAIONfilm 2018, in the Czech Republic, where it was one of 38 films in competition. On that occasion it won the main award.
Czech Culture Minister Antonín Staněk has congratulated the Museum on its success with this message: "I congratulate the colleagues from the Museum of Romani Culture, which is one of 29 contributory organizations of the Culture Ministry, for winning this brilliant prize. This is a confirmation of the fact that their work makes sense and that they are going in absolutely the right direction."
The film is publicly available on YouTube and presents the life and world of Pešta, a Romani activist, litterateur and photographer. The individual animated photographs from his work are commented on by people who personally knew him and altogether create an entertaining, interesting documentary.
The exhibition of Pešta's photographs is currently also in competition in the Czech national Gloria Musealis contest, in the category of Museum Exhibition of the Year. The exhibition itself will be on view at the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno until 10 March 2019.
- Czech Television presents documentary film about Romani singer Věřa Bílá
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Documentary film about Romani activist Jožka Miker brings his energy to the screen
- Czech journalist reports on her experiences working minimum wage jobs, book and documentary film to follow
- New Czech documentary about neo-Nazi who still lives with his mother at age 40 and hates the world
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Czech documentary shows illegal Nazi salute being given at concert by xenophobic Ortel band
- Czech documentary about Romani footballers premiered yesterday in Prague
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Czech football club cancels screening of documentary about Romani footballers after fans threaten violence
- ROMEA releases new Czech-Norwegian documentary film about aid for victims of discrimination and hate violence
- Czech documentary film about xenophobia, "Czechs versus Czechs", wins special honor at Jihlava film festival
- Film about Czechoslovak experiment with Romani children wins best documentary from Olomouc Film Academy
- Documentary film review: "Suppressed Letters", about a Czechoslovak experiment with Romani children
- Documentary shows Roma from Slovak settlements singing with non-Romani musicians
- Documentary films by Roma about Roma screen in Vienna
- Interview with director of documentary film about Romani girls
- Will Czech documentary about Romani activist unite, or divide?
- Czech car manufacturer Škoda distances itself from video by German ultra-right rapper
- Postponed celebrations of International Romani Day to be held in Czech capital on 22 July
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech state's demolition of industrial pig farm on former concentration camp site for Roma to begin in June
- Descendants of Romani victims of the Holocaust and Czech experts discuss commemoration after screening of documentary "LETY"