Documentary on WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic screening TONIGHT ONLINE
As part of the international film festival AKE DIKHEA? (in Romanes, "Do you see?") the documentary film "LETY", produced by Romani community members Renata Berkyová, František Bikár and Viola Tokárová, will be screened today, Friday, 20 November at 20:00 on the festival website. "LETY" captures the efforts of many stakeholders in the Czech Republic to remove an industrial pig farm from the site of a Protectorate-era concentration camp for Romani people.
- "LETY", Friday, 20. 11. 2020, 20:00
- Price: 4 Euro
- Online ticket also applies to the short film "The Great Raid"
The feature-length film also reviews the ongoing debate in Czech society about the history of this site associated with the Holocaust and its Romani victims. Production of the documentary began with a team from the organization ROMEA in June 2018.
The documentary features footage from the archives of ROMEA TV and public broadcaster Czech Television, augmented by footage capturing events during the last two years, by survivor testimonies, and by interviews with people involved since 1989 in the efforts to remove the farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma. Investigative research into previously unclarified facts that influenced how the buyout of the farm by the Czech state developed was part of the filmmaking process.
The AKE DIKHEA international film festival is traditionally held in Berlin, Germany and features films by Romani producers presenting various topics and the world from a Romani perspective. This year marks the fourth such festival, and the expert jury has selected 17 films to screen.
The festival website will screen the selected films until 23 November. "LETY" was produced with financial support from Bader Philanthropies of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the Embassy of the United States of America to the Czech Republic.
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Descendants of Romani victims of the Holocaust and Czech experts discuss commemoration after screening of documentary "LETY"
- Documentary film LETY to screen in Czech capital on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part Three: The 1990s pave the way to a price tag of half a billion crowns
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part Two: Survivors erect a cross, protests against pig farm ignored
- Lety after the Romani genocide, Part One: Local authorities wanted to build another camp there for Roma after the war
- Czech Police: Anti-Romani signs at Romani genocide memorial in Lety were approval of genocide, perpetrators face three years in prison
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT NOON: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Charlie Chaplin's granddaughters making documentary film about his Romani heritage
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"