England: Documentary film Pongo Calling, about Romani émigrés from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, premieres tomorrow at DocFest
The documentary film "Pongo Calling", which follows how Romani people from the Czech Republic who emigrate to Great Britain live there over the course of several years, will premiere tomorrow, 24 June, at the DocFest international documentary film festival in Sheffield, England; the director, Tomáš Kratochvíl, has captured how a family of Romani people becomes part of English society. "I was wondering what life is like for the Romani people who have been emigrating to Great Britain, so I went there and found the truck driver Štefan Pongo and his big, fabulous family," Kratochvíl told news server Romea.cz.
"During the five years that we were filming I became somewhat of a family member myself," the director said. Mr Štefan Pongo, the central character of the documentary, was an activist who did his best to change the negative image held by non-Romani people about the Romani community.
Viewers will see the campaign Mr. Pongo led against Czech President Miloš Zeman, during which Romani people reacted to Zeman's racist remarks that Romani people "do not work" by flooding social media with selfies of themselves at their jobs. Viewers will also be able to follow the establishment of the Czechoslovak Romani Union and all of the activities Mr. Pongo was involved with, almost always from within the cabin of his long haul truck.
Mr. Pongo was also a father and a husband, and the film reveals how the family household ran on a daily basis, using a format that is frequently quite funny, and how his activism not only influenced the family, but also bonded them together. "As we were completing the film, Štefan the trucker succumbed to a disease and passed away," Kratochvíl told Romea.cz.
"His children are now taking up their Dad's cause," the director said. The documentary is a British/Czech/Slovak coproduction and will be screened on Friday, 24 June, Saturday 25 June and Tuesday, 28 June at the Sheffield DocFest.
- Štefan Pongo, founder of the Czechoslovak Romani Union, has passed away
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- MEP Soraya Post supports Romani photo campaign responding to Czech President's antigypsyist remarks
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival resumes parade in Czech capital
- Czech theater ensemble producing project about children's extremism and radicalization, "Commander"
- In an historical first, Romani artist Małgorzata Mirga-Tas represents Poland at the Venice Biennale with “Re-enchanting the World”
- Antonín Gondolán: If you're a decent person who looks good, you can get things done!
- Czech capital to see announcement of awards for children's Romanes-language literature, video and visual art today - Romano suno 2021
- Romani artist from Serbia portrays death of Stanislav Tomáš, exhibition in Prague closes 9 December
- Czech popular music awards show returns, Romani singer Monika Bagárová schools racist rapper on live television
- "How I Became a Partisan": Vera Lacková's documentary about Romani partisans screened at Czech film festival
- Czech gallery holds exhibition of visual antisemitism from the Middle Ages to the present
- Jury of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" TV contest brought to tears by performance of Romani children from the Luník IX housing estate
- Poland: Art exhibition sparks accusations of antisemitism and other bigotries
- Čhavorenge Romani children's choir and the Czech Philharmonic perform in the Romani settlements of Slovakia