EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
EUobserver reports that the European Commission is preparing a new post-2020 EU policy on Roma inclusion as part of a major policy framework, "A Strong Social Europe for Transition". This new EU Roma inclusion policy is scheduled to take effect in the final quarter of 2020.
The coronavirus has now led to the cancellation - along with hundreds of other events - of the European Parliament's planned Roma Week beginning 23 March. Civil society can still participate in designing the EU Framework through a public feedback process at DG Justice until 16 March.
The post-2020 guidance was also meant to be a major topic of the 2020 EU Romani Week at the European Parliament. The full article is available here.
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- European Commission: Number of Roma youth not in school and unemployed in the Czech Republic is rising
- Czech Republic has one month to explain its refusal to redistribute refugees to European Commission
- Christian Democrat chair says Czech Republic should have taken in 10 refugees more to avoid European Commission censure
- European Commission reports Roma six times more likely to be poor in the Czech Republic than non-Roma
- European Commission: Internet giants must combat hatred more
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Commission agrees with social media companies on a common approach against online hate
- European Commission launches infringement proceedings against Hungary over discrimination of Romani children
- Family turns to crowdfunding for daughter's post-brain surgery recovery, Czech insurance doesn't cover therapy that gets results
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Council of Europe's INSCHOOL project promotes inclusion in schools throughout the Czech Republic
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- EU Commissioners on 8 April: Europe has a long way to go to achieve real equality for Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?