EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
EUobserver reports that the European Commission is preparing a new post-2020 EU policy on Roma inclusion as part of a major policy framework, "A Strong Social Europe for Transition". This new EU Roma inclusion policy is scheduled to take effect in the final quarter of 2020.
The coronavirus has now led to the cancellation - along with hundreds of other events - of the European Parliament's planned Roma Week beginning 23 March. Civil society can still participate in designing the EU Framework through a public feedback process at DG Justice until 16 March.
The post-2020 guidance was also meant to be a major topic of the 2020 EU Romani Week at the European Parliament. The full article is available here.
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- European Commission: Number of Roma youth not in school and unemployed in the Czech Republic is rising
- Czech Republic has one month to explain its refusal to redistribute refugees to European Commission
- Christian Democrat chair says Czech Republic should have taken in 10 refugees more to avoid European Commission censure
- European Commission reports Roma six times more likely to be poor in the Czech Republic than non-Roma
- European Commission: Internet giants must combat hatred more
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Commission agrees with social media companies on a common approach against online hate
- European Commission launches infringement proceedings against Hungary over discrimination of Romani children
- European Commission President: Schengen is in a coma and must be resurrected or a united Europe is meaningless
- European Commission President Juncker: EU countries must not reject refugees because of Paris attacks
- European Commission wants concrete statistics on the integration of disadvantaged children into Czech schools
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- Miroslav Klempár: I do not believe the European Commission's new 10-year plan to support Roma will apply to the Czech Republic!
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Bulgaria: Scandal over EU-financed training to detect alleged "radicalization" of Roma, activists say money was used to boost anti-Romani sentiment