EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic
ARA ART, a Romani theatrical group from the Czech Republic, gave a reprise performance in Brussels for the second time this year of their original play "…a zase jsme spali pindral" ("...and again we slept pindral"). While in the spring the group accepted an invitation to the Roma Week festival there and performed for Romani youth from all over Europe, the October reprise was part of the conference of the European Platform for Romani Inclusion as part of the European Year of Cultural Heritage.
The ARA ART production is based on original works by Romani authors and summarizes basic milestones in Romani history - and this time it was viewed not just by EU Commissioners and other representatives from the higher official structures of the EU, but also by representatives of European universities and nonprofit organizations dedicated to Romani inclusion. "The opportunity to represent Romani culture, the possibility to familiarize audiences with the still little- known history of the Romani nation, is understandably always an honor for us. The invitation to this prestigious event, naturally, is an appreciation of our work to a significant degree, and above all it motivates us to create more artistic projects," said David Tišer, director of ARA ART.
Pavlína Matiová, the Romani actress and singer who is ARA ART's artistic director, said: "This is also a big commitment we want to approach with maximum responsibility. It's a beautiful feeling when, just before you go onstage, you hear MEP Soraya Post, a Romani woman from Sweden, saying in her opening speech that our production is the best Romani cultural offering she has seen this year."
After the performance, what is called a bashavel in Romanes was prepared for the audience, a musical program in which everybody, as is traditional in a Romani environment, literally gets to their feet. EU Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality Věra Jourová, who is also from the Czech Republic, danced and sang along with everybody.
- Prague LGBT Pride festival is underway, Roma organizing Hot Chocolate stage at the post-parade party
- Czech Republic: Discussion on Romani characters in literature part of the KHAMORO festival
- Emilie Horáčková calls on Czech PM and EU Justice Commissioner to focus on anti-Romani racism
- Czech Republic: ARA ART exhibition features art photography of male nudes
- EU Justice Commissioner says situation of Romani people is not improving
- EU Justice Commissioner: Whoever says refugees don't deserve aid has never spoken with one
- Czech Republic: Romani association ARA ART wins prize for workshop supporting the LGBT community
- Statement by EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding on the Roma situation in Europe
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Czech Republic's International Romani Day celebrations online: ARA ART holds gala evening "From One Living Room to Another"
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now