EU Roma Summit, September 16, 2008 - Brussels
This high-level conference on the inclusion of Roma will take place under the joint patronage of Commission President José Manuel Barroso and the French Presidency of the Council. The Conference will bring together some 350 representatives of EU institutions, Member State Governments and Parliaments, and civil society.
As outlined in the Commission's Communication "Non-discrimination and equal opportunities: A renewed commitment" adopted on 2 July 2008, this Summit will be the key moment for all actors to pronounce themselves on the Commission's reports and should allow for a comprehensive message to be forwarded to the French Presidency of the Council and the Commission guiding our further work on this very important issue.
It should also be noted that the European Council in its meeting in June this year ".....looks forward to the results of the Commission's evaluation of existing policies and instruments aimed at improving the inclusion of the Roma population as well as to the forthcoming conference on this issue to be held in September. It invites the Council to take this into account in its examination of the revised Social Agenda. The European Council will return to this issue before the end of the year."
The Summit will thus provide an opportunity for participants to exchange views and make commitments in this respect, which will then be communicated to the French Presidency of the Council.
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Romani MMA fighter from Czech Republic declared champion in international mixed martial arts contest
- Kai Dikhas Gallery in Berlin features painter Laďa Gažiová in group show "Kali Berga"
- Czech capital one of more than 600 marches worldwide in solidarity with women demonstrating in Washington DC
- Come to the Kelarova´s International Workshop of Gypsy Musis
- Slovak pupil faces prison for greeting teachers with Nazi salute
- Reminder: The international conference on "Romani migrations, Romani diasporas"
- Paintings of the Roma Exhibited in New York