EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
News server EUobserver has published an analysis by Bernard Rorke, an editor with the Brussels-based European Roma Rights Centre, of how anti-Roma and anti-Traveller racism is motivating the responses of officials and politicians around Europe during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, the conditions in which the least fortunate members of these communities live make it difficult for them to follow what are, at this point in time, life-saving recommendations on personal hygiene and social distancing.
Hundreds of thousands of Roma throughout Europe live in overcrowded settlements without access to water, which is also an issue for Travellers living on overcrowded sites. Activists in Ireland have been raising the alarm about the danger this represents.
EUobserver reports that for years, local authorities in Ireland have failed to address the accommodation crisis for Travellers, refusing to use the state financing available for this purpose and frequently evicting families, who end up living out of vehicles on the roadside. Dr Sindy Joyce informed the paper that the neglect is intentional: "The racial divide is deeply ingrained into Irish society where hostility and violence towards my people is seen to be justified because of our 'difference' to the mainstream settled population."
The article also touches on the situation in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Italy, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia, referencing research from the Roma Civil Monitor project. See the full version here.
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- The confirmation that Slavia Prague hooligans with violent pasts were among those attacking Roma in the Czech town of Sokolov? Selfies.
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house