European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
The European Parliament has just issued a second grant this year to support the Europa Terra Nostra foundation (ETN), part of the extremist "Alliance for Peace and Freedom" (APF) faction of the European legislature. Czech extremist Tomáš Vandas sits on the executive board of the APF, which is using the money to prepare a big meeting in Stockholm this summer.
That means the EP grant will facilitate a congress of dozens of fascist and neo-Nazi organizations. A total of almost EUR 600 000 has been awarded to ETN this year.
In January the foundation, which has direct ties to fascists and neo-Nazis, succeeded with its first grant application, and now it has managed to beguile the grants commission into giving it another contribution. In 2014 Brussels adopted stricter legislation intended to prevent the financing of organizations that reject fundamental human rights and values, but that hasn't stopped the fundraising.
The APF, the umbrella organization of which the supported foundation is a part, brings together ultra-right groups across Europe. Their members include not just the Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) of the Czech Republic, led by Vandas, but also the "People's Party Our Slovakia" (LSNS), Golden Dawn in Greece, and the National Demcoratic Party of Germany.
At the planned meeting in the Swedish capital it is highly likely that speakers will convene who are devotees of anti-EU, anti-Semitic, and neo-Nazi propaganda - the speakers are to include Magnus Söderman, who has not hesitated to call Hitler a "model of a wise person", or Bjorn Björkquist, who has been repeatedly prosecuted and convicted of inciting racial intolerance. Swedish MEP Marita Ulvskog has commented on the financing of the neo-Nazi activities by the EP as being both embarrassing and scary.
Ulvskog initiated the adoption of stricter grant rules in 2014. She believes it is an error that the grants commission makes short-term decisions that take into consideration just the fact that a certain faction exists at the EP level, not how the members of the faction actually behave at national level.
- European Parliament proposes official Romani Holocaust Memorial Day
- RomaReact: The European Parliament elections are approaching: Will Roma candidates succeed?
- Romani "Obama" fights for rights at the European Parliament
- AEDH condemns racist statements made by certain members of the European Parliament
- EU Commissioner "ashamed" of debate at European Parliament on Roma
- Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
- European Parliament backs resolution for strategy on Roma inclusion
- European Parliament wants more pressure on Canada over visas for Czech citizens
- European Parliament to debate Roma expulsions
- The European Commissionand Parliament must intervene immediately; Roma cannot be used asscapegoats anymore.
- Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament: Roma inclusion - a European issue
- Industrial pig farm still standing at Lety earns Czech Republic criticism from the European Parliament
- Roma activists from Bulgaria had a meeting with the President of European Parliament
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- VIDEO: Tents for Romani refugees from Ukraine were erected in the Czech capital in the Troja neighborhood
- Mayor of Prague says if the Czech state does not systematize the distribution of refugees it will close its aid center, tent city supposedly being built
- Commentary: Arrogant behavior of Czech Railways staff toward Romani refugees from Ukraine and absurd police proposals
- Romani nonprofits and civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on PM to hold a crisis meeting with them about aid to Romani Ukrainian refugees