European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
The European Parliament has just issued a second grant this year to support the Europa Terra Nostra foundation (ETN), part of the extremist "Alliance for Peace and Freedom" (APF) faction of the European legislature. Czech extremist Tomáš Vandas sits on the executive board of the APF, which is using the money to prepare a big meeting in Stockholm this summer.
That means the EP grant will facilitate a congress of dozens of fascist and neo-Nazi organizations. A total of almost EUR 600 000 has been awarded to ETN this year.
In January the foundation, which has direct ties to fascists and neo-Nazis, succeeded with its first grant application, and now it has managed to beguile the grants commission into giving it another contribution. In 2014 Brussels adopted stricter legislation intended to prevent the financing of organizations that reject fundamental human rights and values, but that hasn't stopped the fundraising.
The APF, the umbrella organization of which the supported foundation is a part, brings together ultra-right groups across Europe. Their members include not just the Workers Social Justice Party (DSSS) of the Czech Republic, led by Vandas, but also the "People's Party Our Slovakia" (LSNS), Golden Dawn in Greece, and the National Demcoratic Party of Germany.
At the planned meeting in the Swedish capital it is highly likely that speakers will convene who are devotees of anti-EU, anti-Semitic, and neo-Nazi propaganda - the speakers are to include Magnus Söderman, who has not hesitated to call Hitler a "model of a wise person", or Bjorn Björkquist, who has been repeatedly prosecuted and convicted of inciting racial intolerance. Swedish MEP Marita Ulvskog has commented on the financing of the neo-Nazi activities by the EP as being both embarrassing and scary.
Ulvskog initiated the adoption of stricter grant rules in 2014. She believes it is an error that the grants commission makes short-term decisions that take into consideration just the fact that a certain faction exists at the EP level, not how the members of the faction actually behave at national level.
- Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
- European Parliament backs resolution for strategy on Roma inclusion
- European Parliament wants more pressure on Canada over visas for Czech citizens
- European Parliament to debate Roma expulsions
- The European Commissionand Parliament must intervene immediately; Roma cannot be used asscapegoats anymore.
- Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament: Roma inclusion - a European issue
- Industrial pig farm still standing at Lety earns Czech Republic criticism from the European Parliament
- Roma activists from Bulgaria had a meeting with the President of European Parliament
- Czech court hears defamation case against man who insulted a member of the Govt's Roma Council in the media
- Czech Police charge two men for publishing racist content about mass killing last year, Pirate Party and ROMEA filed reports against them
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments