European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
The European Roma and Travellers Forum is calling for the observation of a moment of silence at noon on Sunday, 2 August, in memory of the Romani victims who were murdered on the night of 2 August and early morning hours of 3 August 1944 in “Zigeunerlager BIII” at Auschwitz – Birkenau. The Roma Holocaust, or Pharrajimos, is considered the biggest tragedy in the history of the Roma in Europe.
In the Czech Republic a commemorative ceremony will be held at the Lety Cultural Memorial on Monday, 3 August at 11 AM to honor the victims of the Romani Holocaust and recall the opening and closing dates of the "Gypsy camp" at Lety. The camp was established on 1 August 1942 and closed on 8 August 1943.
Those attending the event in the Czech Republic will include Miluše Horská, Vice-Chair of the Czech Senate; Miluše Tvrzská, Deputy Director of the Office of the Government of the Czech Republic; Markéta Pánková of the Czech Education Ministry; Blanka Hlavínová, Mayor of Lety; Bishop Filip Michael Štojdl of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church; Jan Munk, director of the Terezín Memorial; Bohumil Řeřicha, chair of the Friends of Czech-German Understanding; Hana Vondráčková of the Department of Museums and Galleries of the Czech Culture Ministry; survivors of the Lidice massacre and other guests. The event is organized by the Lidice Memorial, which manages the Lety Memorial on behalf of the Czech Government.
On 13 May 2015 the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust organized a commemorative ceremony at the memorial as it has for more than a decade. That ceremony, as usual, was also attended by representatives of various governments.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum launches website for Roma Holocaust commemorations
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Anti-Gypsyism afoot in Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and elsewhere
- European Roma Institute proponents respond to analysis by the European Roma and Travellers Forum
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Czech Republic tending toward institutional racism
- European Roma and Travellers Forum needs to have a clear position on conflict of interest
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations
- Documentary film LETY to screen in Czech capital on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture to educate students at memorial site of former concentration camp at Lety
- Analysis: New Czech party draws inspiration from the Kremlin
- Czech Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes honors Romani activist's work to remove pig farm from Holocaust remembrance site
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture announces competition to design the memorial at the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- ROMEA TV: Irrefutable evidence found that industrial pig farm was built on top of former concentration camp for Roma
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now