European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) has sent Jan Munk, the director of the Terezín Memorial who also chairs the Commission for the Preparation of the Terezín Commemoration, a letter expressing its agreement with the 14 nonprofit organizations who asked that both the LGBT community's rainbow flag and the international Romani flag be flown during the commemorative ceremony at Terezín this year. Munk rejected the request at the beginning of May for the flags to be included alongside state flags during the 15 May event.
Agnes Daroczi, director of the ERTF and an expert on the Romani Holocaust, asks the following in her letter, which was sent on 11 May: "If victims from one particular state can be honoured by a flag why cannot half a million Roma from all over Europe not receive the same honour?" In his rejection letter, publicized on 5 May, Munk invited people to bring their own flags and fly them from the audience during the ceremony, which some did.
The commemorative ceremony at Terezín this year was also controversial because of the bigoted and politicized nature of the speeches given by two of the invited speakers. Jewish representatives from around the country protested those speeches and a member of the Czech Freedom Fighters' Union issued a public statement rejecting the speech given by the national chair of that organization.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum asks Pope to revise his rhetoric on Roma
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls summer demolitions of Romani dwellings "unprecedented"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
- European Roma and Travellers Forum launches website for Roma Holocaust commemorations
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Anti-Gypsyism afoot in Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and elsewhere
- European Roma and Travellers Forum needs to have a clear position on conflict of interest
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted
- Dozens of heads of state and government honoring the memory of Holocaust victims at Auschwitz Memorial today
- Analysis: New Czech party draws inspiration from the Kremlin
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- International work experience opens up for unemployed youth in the Czech Republic