European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
A hoax is being spread by e-mail and through social media recently, mainly among Europe's Romani community, about Romani families in France receiving advertisements in their mailboxes containing cosmetic samples that are allegedly poisonous. A similar hoax began to spread online at the same time alleging that Israeli women have been targeted with such poisonous deliveries.
This particular disinformation about poisoned cosmetic samples first appeared in 2002 and is currently back in circulation. The false report claims that the packages may contain perfume samples, toothpaste samples, or samples of creams.
The hoax alleges that "seven women" have already died as a result of opening the samples. In both the Israeli and the Romani-targeted versions, the false claim about deaths also includes the allegation that dozens more women have been hospitalized.
The disinformation also includes the much-used tactic of alleging that this is a terrorist attack that the Government is "naturally" keeping it a secret. News servers in France and Israel are informing the public that the rumors are unfounded.
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- William Bila: Can we put an end to the dehumanization of Roma in France?
- France demonstrates against antisemitism after vandal destroys dozens of Jewish gravesites
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Russian social network blocks "Miss Hitler" beauty contest after Israeli media contact
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- France: Le Pen and Co. continue to embezzle EU taxpayer money
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Czech media falsely accuse Romani mourners of breaking the law after cemetery employee calls police
- Two men in Czech Republic indicted for approving of neo-Nazi terrorism in Christchurch, New Zealand
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition