European Roma Grassroots Organizations Network calls on EU to fund Romani "watchdog" groups
In an open letter to EU officials, the ERGO Network has welcomed the European Commission's annual communication on Roma Integration and is calling for a "targeted funding strand" for Roma NGOs engaged in "watchdog" work. ERGO thanked the officials for acknowledging the need to combat anti-Gypsyism.
In order achieve that goal, ERGO says investment must be made into building capacity in Romani civil society so groups can play an "active and independent role" in advocating for Romani interests and holding government accountable at all levels. This "watchdog" work would monitor the implementation of the EU Roma framework and sound the alarm when implementation is not properly undertaken.
The Network is calling for the equipping of Romani civil society to engage in evidence-based research "in order to genuinely take part in coordination and consultation". Their call for a "targeted funding strand" includes the idea of creating "progressive funding schemes" for testing "innovative, experimental approaches" towards the achievement of equal citizenship for Roma in Europe.
ERGO is a foundation based in the Netherlands with an office in Brussels that works to improve the situation of Roma in Europe. The network is comprised of 26 Romani civil society organizations from all over Europe, with core members from Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and Macedonia.
- European Commission reports on Roma integration: More work needed
- European Commission recommends the Czech Republic include Romani children in the education system
- Slovakia must explain discrimination of Roma in the schools to the European Commission
- European Commission to decide whether proceedings against Czech Republic over Roma discrimination will continue
- European Commission not satisfied with Czech response to discrimination of Romani children
- ERGO distances itself from wall demolition in Slovakia
- European Commission critiques fact that non-Czech EU citizens cannot establish parties in the Czech Republic
- Will Brussels consider creating the post of EU Commissioner for Roma?
- Typical Roma? ERGO launches international campaign
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- International Romani Union expresses solidarity and sorrow over the fire at Notre Dame cathedral
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Fifteen anti-racist and Roma NGOs call on EU countries to commit to updating their Romani Integration Strategies after 2020
- Czech and international nonprofits protest amendment to decree on education
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- OSCE Mission to Serbia responds to Romani NGOs about alleged radicalization, references British Council report
- Finland: Owners of first Romani café say they want it to bridge cultures
- Czech city with homeless evictees refused Govt Agency for Social Inclusion help, some local Roma petitioned against it
- Belgium: Roma Travellers to be evicted in EU capital, fire reported at their halting site
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020