European Roma Information Office launches social media campaign to increase Roma voter turnout in EP elections
The European Roma Information Office (ERIO) has launched a new campaign aiming to raise awareness about the European Parliament elections and to call on Romani people to actively participate in the electoral process. The Brussels-based NGO believes Romani people should not afraid to run for the EP in the future.
There are already several Members of the European Parliament of Romani origin seated at the EP. The ERIO campaign is also meant to combat discrimination against Romani people participating in political life.
Anybody can join the campaign by posting a status update to social media with the hashtags #RomaPolitician, #RomaVoter or #RomaUseYourVote. More information is on the ERIO website at http://www.erionet.eu/campaign-roma-civic-and-political-participation (English only).
- Czech experts prepare for disinformation in campaigns for elections to the European Parliament
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- European Parliament: Shouting matches over Italian "census" of Roma - Járóka finds it reasonable, Post calls for a halt
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Lívia Járóka becomes first ever Romani Vice-President of the European Parliament
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- European Parliament is financing neo-Nazis even after rules change
- European Parliament proposes official Romani Holocaust Memorial Day
- Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
- European Parliament wants more pressure on Canada over visas for Czech citizens
- European Parliament to debate Roma expulsions
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Romani community member Edita Stejskalová recognized for her political engagement in the Czech Republic
- German police raid homes of online haters in wake of political assassination
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin joins the European People's Party
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated