European Roma Information Office publishes fact sheet on anti-Roma hate speech in European media
The European Roma Information Office, a Brussels-based international advocacy organization promoting discussion of Romani issues, has published a fact sheet to raise awareness about hate speech against Romani people in the European media. The fact sheet defines hate speech against Roma as any public conduct that "wilfully expresses intense hostility towards Roma on the basis of their ethnicity".
According to ERIO, hate speech is not limited to verbal expression under international law. While freedom of speech is guaranteed by the European Convention on Human Rights, Article 10 of that convention provides for the limitation of that freedom through “formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society”.
The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, which most European countries have signed, condemns hate speech, requires that it be declared an offense punishable by law, and calls for the prohibition of racist organizations inciting racial discrimination and promoting racist propaganda. The ERIO fact sheet gives cases of hate speech against Roma from France, Hungary, Italy and Slovakia.
ERIO recommends the EU increase the capacity of its agencies to combat hate speech in cooperation with the Member States, including coordinating guidelines on data collection and training civil servants and judges about hate speech. It recommends the Member States fight the underreportng of hate crimes by encouraging victims to report incidents, raising awareness about how to do so and providing victims with support.
ERIO also recommends that civil society, including Romani civil society, raise awareness about the harmful effects of hate speech. Lastly, the group recommends the media include the expertise, opinions and perspectives of Romani people in their media products by consulting with them.
- ERIO and AGE: International Roma Day - It is time to improve the lives of older Roma
- Human Rights Commissioner Thomas Hammarberg visited ERIO office in Brussels
- European Roma Information Office launches social media campaign to increase Roma voter turnout in EP elections
- Czech Police say most hate crimes last year were against Roma, number of antisemitic attacks declined
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council seek meeting with Czech Interior Minister and PM over recent interethnic violence
- Bulgarian media showed edited footage of interethnic altercation in shop - full footage shows a different story
- William Bila: Can we put an end to the dehumanization of Roma in France?
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- LIVE BROADCAST WEDNESDAY 27 MARCH: Last sessions of the Council of Europe's 7th International Roma Women's Conference
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- ERRC Condemns Collective Punishment of Roma in Europe