European Roma Information Office publishes fact sheet on anti-Roma hate speech in European media
The European Roma Information Office, a Brussels-based international advocacy organization promoting discussion of Romani issues, has published a fact sheet to raise awareness about hate speech against Romani people in the European media. The fact sheet defines hate speech against Roma as any public conduct that "wilfully expresses intense hostility towards Roma on the basis of their ethnicity".
According to ERIO, hate speech is not limited to verbal expression under international law. While freedom of speech is guaranteed by the European Convention on Human Rights, Article 10 of that convention provides for the limitation of that freedom through “formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society”.
The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, which most European countries have signed, condemns hate speech, requires that it be declared an offense punishable by law, and calls for the prohibition of racist organizations inciting racial discrimination and promoting racist propaganda. The ERIO fact sheet gives cases of hate speech against Roma from France, Hungary, Italy and Slovakia.
ERIO recommends the EU increase the capacity of its agencies to combat hate speech in cooperation with the Member States, including coordinating guidelines on data collection and training civil servants and judges about hate speech. It recommends the Member States fight the underreportng of hate crimes by encouraging victims to report incidents, raising awareness about how to do so and providing victims with support.
ERIO also recommends that civil society, including Romani civil society, raise awareness about the harmful effects of hate speech. Lastly, the group recommends the media include the expertise, opinions and perspectives of Romani people in their media products by consulting with them.
- ERIO calls for an ethical journalism free of stereotypes and prejudices
- ERIO: It is our collective obligation to combat anti-Gypsyism
- ERIO and AGE: International Roma Day - It is time to improve the lives of older Roma
- Human Rights Commissioner Thomas Hammarberg visited ERIO office in Brussels
- Czech Civic Democrats may exclude member who called Meghan Markle a "gypsy"
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
- EU Agency for Fundamental Rights finds Czech Republic the place that rejects Romani people the most
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Jana Balážová: Not acceptable for teachers to see Romani children as a burden
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Michal Miko to the Czech Regional Development Minister: Live in a container yourself and then we'll see what you think of it
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Italian police forcibly evict yet another Roma camp
- Analysis: Czech Fascists and fascisizing politicians, yesterday and today (Part One)
Tags:antigypsyism, Civil society, ERIO, EU
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.