European Roma Spirit Awards: Impreuna, Roma Education Support Trust, Romea.cz, Spišský Hrhov, Sabiha Suleiman
Yesterday the first-ever European Roma Spirit Awards were announced in Bratislava. The ceremony included a video greeting from EU Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality, Věra Jourová - the full program of the video is archived above.
The winners of the awards are:
In the category of Non-Governmental Organization: Impreuna Agency for Community Development (Romania)
In the category of Company, Organization and/or Employer: Roma Education Support Trust (Great Britain)
In the category of Municipality: Spišský Hrhov (Slovakia)
In the category of Media: Romea.cz (Czech Republic)
In the category of Personality: Sabiha Suleiman (Greece)
A special award was given in memoriam to Dr Ján Cibul'a, the first Roma to enroll at university in Bratislava and the first Romani physician in Czechoslovakia. He was a founder of the International Romani Union and achieved international recognition for the Roma as a nation at the United Nations in 1979.
The European Roma Spirit Award was initiated by the Association for Culture, Education and Communication (ACEC), the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic, and the Office of the Plenipotentiary of the Slovak Government for Roma Communities as a platform for highlighting positive contributions focused on the social inclusion of the Roma people. It is a continuation of the Roma Spirit project which has been initiated and successfully implemented by the Association for Culture, Education and Communication in both the Slovak Republic and the Czech Republic since 2009.
- LIVE ONLINE BROADCAST: European Roma Spirit Award ceremony
- First-ever European Roma Spirit 2016 award nominations include news server Romea.cz
- Roma Spirit Czech Republic: Deadline for nominations THIS FRIDAY 30 SEPTEMBER
- Czech Republic: Pope Francis gives his blessing to the sixth year of the Roma Spirit awards
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit award goes to director of primary school that includes Roma and to Romea.cz co-founder
- Slovakia: Roma Spirit award won by those who saved two human lives
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit award given to the Slovo 21 NGO, the town of Žlutice, and journalist Iveta Demeterová
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Analysis: New Czech party draws inspiration from the Kremlin
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- International work experience opens up for unemployed youth in the Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated