Facebook blocks German-language pages of anti-multiculturalism "Identitarian Movement"
Facebook has blocked the pages of the Austrian and German Identitarian Movements opposed to immigration, the alleged Islamicization of their countries, and multiculturalism because, according to spokespeople for the company, these organizations disseminate hatred. The movements claim to be concerned about the alleged disappearance of European culture as a result of non-European immigration and are calling Facebook's move censorship.
The so-called Identitarians have now lost their access to Facebook and Instagram. "Organizations or people who disseminate organized hatred are not allowed on Facebook or Instagram," a spokesperson for the American firm said.
The block has affected the "Identitarian Movement of Austria", for example. However, the Austrian Press Agency reports that different Facebook pages run by regional identitarian groups have remained active.
On the Facebook page of the "Identitarian Movement of Upper Austria", users are criticizing what they term a "massive wave of censorship." Facebook blocked the pages of French identitarians at the beginning of May.
The movement began in France and spread to Germany and then Austria in 2012. It has sympathizers elsewhere in Europe, including in the Czech Republic.
The name of the movement is derived from its alleged concerns about European cultural identity. Young people are strongly represented in the movement and are sometimes referred to as "Generation Identity".
German counter-intelligence services surveille the identitiarians and consider them an ultra-right movement. In Austria identitarians are being investigated by the Prosecutor-General on suspicion of criminal conspiracy and incitement to hatred.
- Ukraine: Paramilitaries broadcast live pogrom against Roma on Facebook, the fourth in the last six weeks
- Czech pro-Kremlin disinformation Facebook page sparks wave of racist, vulgar comments about non-white infant
- Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
- Czech party apparently trolled into posting photo of its leader on Facebook with Nazi swastika
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- Facebook blocks fascist party's official profile, including Slovak politician's personal page
- ROMEA reports 10+ criminal incidents involving racist commentaries and threats on Facebook to the Czech Police
- Slovak Police charge woman with threatening Muslims and Roma through Facebook, she faces six years in prison
- HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Czech Police refuse to publicize whether they are investigating death threats made on Facebook against Romani celebrity
- Facebook renews original page for "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" with 160 000 fans
- Czech Islamophobes have a problem: Konvička has quit yet another political party and Facebook has closed their hate page
- Czech court sentences youth to four months in prison for threatening to shoot man on Facebook
- Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
- Czech Republic: Roma report racism to Facebook after calls for "gypsies" to be set on fire are posted
- EU Justice Ministers call on Facebook to be stricter about removing hoaxes and threats
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- YouTube restores Czech politician's channel but deletes two posts that spread hate
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- Czech MP publishes long-refuted fake video purporting to show "refugees" attacking a police vehicle
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe