Facebook users including Romani community in Czech Republic falling for Canadian HOAX about alleged arrest of pharma exec
A post on Facebook is being shared that falsely alleges Albert Bourla, the general director of Pfizer, a pharmaceutical company, has been arrested. The hoax has spread so extensively that even Romani Facebook users in the Czech Republic are falling for it.
In reality, Bourla was giving live interviews to more than one cable television channel in the United States at the time of his supposed arrest. The fabricated disinformation is from a Canadian website that has repeatedly published untruths about vaccination against COVID-19 and fabricated reports about the non-existent arrests of important people.
In the Czech-language environment, this disinformation has been debunked by the Demagog.cz website. The hoax falsely claims that Bourla, the general director of Pfizer, which produces the vaccine against COVID-19 that is most widely used in the Czech Republic, was supposedly arrested on 5 November.
The hoax falsely alleged that the CEO was being accused of "fraud for his role in misleading customers about the effectiveness of the COVID-19 'vaccine'." An unidentified FBI agent allegedly informed the website of this.
Demagog.cz reports that the hoax first appeared on the morning of 5 November on the Canadian website Conservative Beaver. The website alleged that Bourla had been arrested that morning at what they said was his home in Scarsdale, a suburb of New York City.
Conservative Beaver claimed to have been told about the arrest by an "FBI agent". Apparently, however, no such arrest took place.
On the morning of 5 November, Bourla appeared in live interviews on both CNBC and CNN, then gave an interview to the FOX cable channel after noon that same day. No serious media outlet has reported on any arrest of the head of Pfizer.
Pfizer itself says Bourla has not been arrested, and local police in Scarsdale say they performed no such arrest. The Scarsdale police also said that Bourla does not live there.
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- DECEPTIVE HOAX: No, Amazon has not fired 400 workers in Czech Republic because of refugees from Ukraine
- Pro-Kremlin fakery and manipulation: What to make of Russian claims of Ukraine's alleged "genocide", Fascism and Nazism?
- Czech Internet association finally blocks servers spreading disinformation about COVID-19, refugees and Roma - their pro-Kremlin disinformation was a step too far
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
- Excluded Roma in Slovakia have died of COVID-19 more than non-Roma due to low rates of vaccination, their employment rates have also stagnated
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Disinformation website starved of revenue as Czech advertisers keep their distance
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust