Fake news item spreads online alleging George Soros has died
At the beginning of the week of 14 November a fake news item began to spread online alleging that George Soros has died, including in the Czech language. The news item was quickly refuted and labeled false and is just the latest in a chain of untrue, falsified news items about the deaths of famous figures.
Mr Soros remains alive and well. Last month's incident was not the first time rumors of his death have spread online.
In the year 2014, Reuters erroneously published an article reporting that the entrepreneur had allegedly died. The most recent fake news item to this effect read as follows: "On Monday at around 11 AM our beloved entrepreneur George Soros died. He was born on 12 August 1930 in Budapest. We will miss him, but we will never forget him. Please show your condolences by commenting on this post and 'liking' our website."
The rumor of the alleged death of Mr Soros began spreading on Monday 14 November through the Facebook social network and attracted more than a million "likes". Hundreds of fans immediately began to write their condolence messages and express their sorrow over the alleged death of the 87-year-old entrepreneur.
Besides messages from trusting fans, sceptical opinions were also posted. These referred to the fact that the announcement of the supposed death had not been published by any big American media outlets, which indicated it was a fraudulent news item, because the death of such a significant person would have been headline news in all media outlets.
"He has become part of a long list of celebrities who have fallen victim to this fraud. George Soros is still alive and well. Stop believing what you see on the Internet," a Soros representative warned the tabloid news server Mediamass.
Some fans subsequently expressed anger over the spreading of the false news. Others said their gestures of condolence demonstrated how extraordinarily popular Mr Soros is worldwide.
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- Czech-language hoaxes deceive online with footage from feature films and news reports
- Czech-language Internet again spreading hoax about "free medicine for Roma"
- Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Czech Agriculture Ministry wants to collaborate with Romani business group, says Czech Forests already working with one
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
- UK: Police say there are no suspicious circumstances about death of young Romani girl in Sheffield
- International Czech and Slovak Romani community rocked by mysterious death of nine-year-old girl in England
- Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies
- Czech online media spread disinformation about refugees in Sweden
- Open Society Fund Prague conference on Romani children's access to education: How to explain the delay?
- Ivan Kandráč: Roma seeking rentals are out of luck in the Czech Republic
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- Czech tabloid apologizes for fake news report claiming video from Chile was from Ostrava
- Czech tabloid fraudulently tells readers CCTV footage of theft in Chile was from Ostrava - antigypsyism is the response
Tags:Hoax, OSF, podnikatel, smrt
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.