France: Attack with firearms and Molotov cocktails against Roma over two nights - seven hospitalized, including a teenager
During the late night hours of Monday and early morning hours of Tuesday a group of assailants threw Molotov cocktails into one of the biggest Romani encampments in Marseille, France. More attacks targeted the same location during Tuesday night and the early morning hours of Wednesday.
Many Romani people have been injured and seven have been hospitalized, including a 14-year-old. Earlier on Monday visitors to the encampment reportedly told the Roma to leave.
The Molotov cocktails were thrown into a hall where approximately 100 people were gathered. Some Romani people also sustained buckshot wounds.
Eyewitnesses told police they heard shooting. Agence France-Presse reports three people have been arrested in connection with the incidents.
An eyewitness captured some of the events on video using his mobile telephone. The footage shows the silhouettes of people throwing Molotov cocktails into the building where the Roma are.
News server LaProvence.com reports that police say one of the Tuesday night attacks was described to them by a neighbor of the encampment as taking place around midnight. "Somebody saw the flames of the Molotov cocktails and called the fire department," LaProvence.com quoted police as saying.
There were many children in the encampment. "This is the most serious attack of this sort to have been committed in Marseille," Laurie Bertrand of the organization Doctors without Borders told LaProvence.com.
The international human rights organization European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has begun to monitor investigation of the case. "The ERRC will be involved in monitoring the case to ensure the safety of the inhabitants, that the police investigation is thorough and unbiased, and that measures are taken to prevent racist hate crime from reoccurring," ERRC representatives posted to the organization's Facebook profile.
- Bulgaria and France reprimanded by UN Human Rights Commissioner over Roma displacement
- French authorities complete razing of Romani camp near Paris, not everyone rehoused
- France: Fatal shooting at Romani camp, six-month-old among the dead
- France: Roma immigrants evicted, travelling community kept from halting
- New York Times editorial says France is failing immigrants, including Roma
- France: Legislation will end permits for travelling people
- France building a wall around Romani camping site
- France: Clear majority has negative perceptions mainly of Muslims and Romani people
- France: Director makes action film with itinerant Roma
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Antigypsyism and antisemitism rooted in European culture for centuries, experts discuss the causes of online hate
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Volkswagen apologizes for racist advertisement, claiming it was "unintentional"
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court