France: Attack with firearms and Molotov cocktails against Roma over two nights - seven hospitalized, including a teenager
During the late night hours of Monday and early morning hours of Tuesday a group of assailants threw Molotov cocktails into one of the biggest Romani encampments in Marseille, France. More attacks targeted the same location during Tuesday night and the early morning hours of Wednesday.
Many Romani people have been injured and seven have been hospitalized, including a 14-year-old. Earlier on Monday visitors to the encampment reportedly told the Roma to leave.
The Molotov cocktails were thrown into a hall where approximately 100 people were gathered. Some Romani people also sustained buckshot wounds.
Eyewitnesses told police they heard shooting. Agence France-Presse reports three people have been arrested in connection with the incidents.
An eyewitness captured some of the events on video using his mobile telephone. The footage shows the silhouettes of people throwing Molotov cocktails into the building where the Roma are.
News server LaProvence.com reports that police say one of the Tuesday night attacks was described to them by a neighbor of the encampment as taking place around midnight. "Somebody saw the flames of the Molotov cocktails and called the fire department," LaProvence.com quoted police as saying.
There were many children in the encampment. "This is the most serious attack of this sort to have been committed in Marseille," Laurie Bertrand of the organization Doctors without Borders told LaProvence.com.
The international human rights organization European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has begun to monitor investigation of the case. "The ERRC will be involved in monitoring the case to ensure the safety of the inhabitants, that the police investigation is thorough and unbiased, and that measures are taken to prevent racist hate crime from reoccurring," ERRC representatives posted to the organization's Facebook profile.
- Bulgaria and France reprimanded by UN Human Rights Commissioner over Roma displacement
- French authorities complete razing of Romani camp near Paris, not everyone rehoused
- France: Fatal shooting at Romani camp, six-month-old among the dead
- France: Roma immigrants evicted, travelling community kept from halting
- New York Times editorial says France is failing immigrants, including Roma
- France: Legislation will end permits for travelling people
- France building a wall around Romani camping site
- France: Clear majority has negative perceptions mainly of Muslims and Romani people
- France: Director makes action film with itinerant Roma
- French appeals court upholds Le Pen's fine over insult to Roma
- Germany: Extremist group in the AfD party says it is dissolving
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech lower house committee suspends discussion of stripping ultranationalist MP of immunity from prosecution for xenophobic remarks
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders
- Slovak elections: Opposition OLaNO wins, no growth in votes for fascist party
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people