France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
Last week a street gang set a public bus on fire in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis. Some international media, as well as anti-Islamic websites in the Czech Republic, ascribed the attack to Islamist radicals and alleged that the youths shouted "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is great!") during the attack.
French Police, however, say the attack had nothing to do with religion but was connected to the protests that broke out after a black youth was arrested by police and then died in their custody. The attack on the bus happened last Thursday and was captured on video by a random eyewitness.
The footage shows a group of masked youths blocking the bus using garbage cans and then attacking it with Molotov cocktails. Nobody was physically harmed during the attack.
The driver and 15 passengers managed to escape before the bus caught fire. A police spokesperson refuted media reports that Islamist terrorists had committed the attack on the bus.
"There is no proof that the attack was connected with Islam or that anybody shouted religious slogans during the attack," the police spokesperson said, adding that the attack was connected with the violent protests that broke out after the death of a black youth in mid-July. The violence happened in the municipality of Beaumont-sur-Oise near Paris, where the black youth came from, and in the neighboring municipalities of Bruyéres-sur-Oise and Persan.
The unrest broke out after Adam Traoré died on his 24th birthday. The public prosecutor said he had been involved in a case of blackmail, and after his arrest he took ill and died.
His family and friends, however, suspect that police officers beat Mr Traoré so badly as to kill him and that his death was racially motivated. His sister alleges the police murdered him.
The public prosecutor says an autopsy did not reveal any evidence of the police officers having been to blame for the young man's death. He is said to have succumbed to a serious infection that caused multiple organ failure.
- French newspaper for children and teens explains the Paris attacks, asks Muslim children how they are affected
- Seven people connected to one assassin detained in France, some commandoes apparently managed to flee
- Belgium charges French comedian over racist remarks
- France: Roma celebrity Eric Cantona offers to house asylum-seekers
- Bulgaria and France reprimanded by UN Human Rights Commissioner over Roma displacement
- French authorities complete razing of Romani camp near Paris, not everyone rehoused
- France: Fatal shooting at Romani camp, six-month-old among the dead
- France: Roma immigrants evicted, travelling community kept from halting
- France: Human rights organizations protest forced evictions of Romani people
- New York Times editorial says France is failing immigrants, including Roma
- France: Legislation will end permits for travelling people
- France sees annual celebration of Sara e Kali, the patron saint of Roma
- France building a wall around Romani camping site
- Czech film "The Way Out", about life in a Romani ghetto, on general release in France to high praise
- France investing EUR 100 million into combating racism
- France: Clear majority has negative perceptions mainly of Muslims and Romani people
- France: Director makes action film with itinerant Roma
- France: Comedian gets suspended sentence for defending terrorism
- France: Controversial humorist could be fined EUR 30 000 for Facebook post
- Commentary: France is going crazy with the fight against terrorism - what next?
- France: 42 % oppose publishing caricatures of Mohammed
- France: Harsh crackdown against anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic hate speech, comedian arrested
- Czech cities honor French shooting victims, freedom of speech
- Editors at Slovak news server apologize for anti-Romani, racist joke, but legislator is filing a complaint
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Polish Defense Ministry: Belarus has been holding up to 300 migrants on the border and forcing them to attack Polish soldiers
- Facebook users including Romani community in Czech Republic falling for Canadian HOAX about alleged arrest of pharma exec
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Czech DISINFORMATION: Alleged "Nurse from a Brno ICU" railing against vaccination, Petra Fajmonová Rédová, is not employed by any hospital in Brno