France: Fatal shooting at Romani camp, six-month-old among the dead
A shooting in northern France today at a Romani camp in Roy resulted in four dead and three seriously injured. The dead include an infant and a woman.
Those seriously injured are one child, one police officer and the shooter himself. The motivation for the shooting is not yet clear.
The French regional daily Courrier Picard reports that the initial investigation said the incident was one of score-settling in a zone occupied by persons without permanent residency. However, other sources say the shooting did not begin until after police entered the camp.
According to Conflict News, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve's initial reaction was that the attack was racially motivated. France 24 reports the minister as stating that the assailant entered the camp and killed the infant, a man and a woman in cold blood.
Subsequent reports said the murderer is a member of the local community. "A drunken man from the community opened fire on a 40-year-old man, his stepdaughter and an infant," Cazeneuve later said according to French station BFM TV without providing details on the motivation for the shooting.
Three of those who died are from the local community, including the six-month old, and the fourth fatality was one of the police officers. Police and soldiers were called to the crime scene over concerns that a terrorist attack might be underway.
The gendarmes then exchanged gunfire with the alleged perpetrator and two officers were injured in that exchange, one of whom died after being transferred to hospital.The alleged perpetrator was injured in the exchange and arrested.
This is the first serious incident resulting in fatalities since Friday's attack on a high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris. That incident apparently involved an Islamist radical attempting to kill passengers who did not succeed.
- France: Roma immigrants evicted, travelling community kept from halting
- France: Legislation will end permits for travelling people
- France building a wall around Romani camping site
- France investing EUR 100 million into combating racism
- France: Immigrant Romani infant buried near Paris after being refused burial elsewhere
- Photographs of the Roma minor whose lynching shocked France
- France: Young Roma man in coma after brutal lynching, President is outraged
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- International Romani Union expresses solidarity and sorrow over the fire at Notre Dame cathedral
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- William Bila: Can we put an end to the dehumanization of Roma in France?
- Czech MP compares French President Macron to Hitler at commemoration of the Nazi occupation, Czech Defense Ministry distances itself
- France demonstrates against antisemitism after vandal destroys dozens of Jewish gravesites
- Czech Supreme Court to review verdict in shooting murder of Romani man in Chomutov
- Czech appeals court reduces sentence for murder of Romani man to seven years, prosecutor calls it disproportionate, inhumane and unjust
- France: Le Pen and Co. continue to embezzle EU taxpayer money
- France: Extreme-right members arrested on suspicion of planning to attack Muslims
- France gives Czech Public Defender of Rights Anna Šabatová its highest state award, the Legion of Honor