France: Journalist sentenced to six months for racist articles about immigrants from the Maghreb and Romani people
The website France Bleu reports that an unusually harsh verdict has been handed down in France in the matter of two racist articles published in August 2015 by the Petit Journal Catalan weekly. Journalist Rodolphe Crevelle, who is known for his extreme right-wing positions, attempted to obliterate the reputation of North African immigrants from the Maghreb and members of the Romani community (specifically, the Catalan Gitanos) through his pieces.
Crevelle will now go behind bars for six months for inciting discrimination and hatred and must pay a fine of EUR 20 000, while publisher Alain Paga must pay that same fine and has been sentenced to two months in prison. The articles sparked arguments and controversy at the time.
In his first article, Crevelle compared the inhabitants of Cassanyes Square, who are originally from the Maghreb, to "Martians", while in the second article he spoke of Romani people as "former chicken thieves who abuse social contributions and welfare support today." Olivier Amiel, attorney for the plaintiffs, said the punishment was "stringent, but deserved."
"It has been a shock, not just for the entire community of Romani people in Perpignan, but also in Arles, Béziers and Montpellier. We are Roma, but we must never forget that we are French citizens," emphasized Joseph Saadna, chair of the civic association "Comité animation de la Place du Puig", which organizes recreational activities locally.
The decision also obliges the periodical to publish a news report about the verdict in an article equivalent to half a page in length in one of its upcoming issues. France Bleu reports that Crevelle, who the publisher says no longer works for the weekly, did not take its calls seeking comment, while Paga is still deciding whether to appeal.
- French court fines Jean-Marie Le Pen for abusive remarks about Romani people - again
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Slovak Police investigate suspected racially-motivated assault against dark-skinned French student
- French left and right unite on mass evictions of Roma: Hollande forces thousands more Roma onto the streets
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Hollande admits France's role in persecuting Romani people during WWII
- France: Attack with firearms and Molotov cocktails against Roma over two nights - seven hospitalized, including a teenager
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- ROMEA raises funds to support Czech school subjected to racist attacks online
- Marie Siváková: Reaction of an ordinary Roma/Czech woman to President's allegation that 90 % of "inadaptables" are Romani
- Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
- Iveta Bílková: Romani people must vote - it is a citizen's most basic right
- Commentary: By honoring Zeman, US Jewish organization is promoting the fascisization of Czech society
- Monika Mihaličková: Why it's important that we Roma support each other
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- Czech broadcast authority: TV news misidentifying burkinis as regular clothes failed basic duty to viewers
- Romani singer received thousands of hateful verbal assaults, Czech Police charging two people
- Czech Government "takes note" of Report on the State of the Romani Minority for 2016
- Head of Czech development aid organization notices situation in Romani ghettos all but unchanged
- Czech-language, racist website asked people to "Snap an immigrant!", Roma and tourists were in the photos
Tags:France, Media, muslimové, Nenávist, Romani people, rozsudek
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.