France Rejects UN Criticism on Roma Crackdown
France’s government said it respects human rights “scrupulously” in connection with its deportation of Roma immigrants after a United Nations agency criticized harshly their expulsion.
The Geneva-based UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination said in a report that it’s “worried about the rise of racist behavior and violence against Roma” in France. According to it collective expulsions violate international law.
The UN Committee is particularly worried by what it sees as an increase in violent racist demonstrations against Roma immigrants. It notes, since France presented its report to the Committee two weeks ago, a number of Roma have collectively been deported to their countries of origin.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said in an e- mailed statement that France abides by European and international rules.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- Czech town's security survey attests long-held stereotypical attitides of mistrust toward Roma
- Czech media misreport that victim of crossbow shooting was allegedly a thief
- France: Head of ultra-right may face trial for racism
- Czech Republic: Platform for Social Housing says society needs homes
- Germans, Turks use trial of neo-Nazi Zschäpe to get their messages across
- Germany, other northern states want to ban “welfare tourism” by Romani people
- Budapest: Three neo-Nazis who assaulted WJC delegates sentenced
- New York Times visits previously segregated school in Slovakia
- Romani students from Czech Republic excelling at British school
- Slovakia: Romani Union Party says it is organizing a month of street protests
- Commission: EU funds should support Romani social inclusion from 2014 on
- Valeriu Nicolae: Roma Social Inclusion Measures the European Commission Can and Should Take
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.