German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
German MP Petr Bystroň (Alternative for Germany - AFD), who is of Czech origin, recently met with members of the ultra-right Suidlanders group during an official visit to the Republic of South Africa, where he visited a shooting range with them. ARD television reported last month that Germany's Bundestag paid for the trip.
AFD representatives on the Foreign Affairs Committee of the federal assembly confirmed that the MP attended the shooting exercise. Deutsche Presse-Agentur (DPA) reports that the Suidlanders describe themselves as a Protestant-inspired group of white South Africans whose "hobby" is arms.
The wire service also reports that the Suidlanders have an "unequivocal tendency to racism". The German Social Democrats (SPD) and Greens sharply criticized the MP for using public funds for such a purpose.
German MP Thomas Oppermann (SPD), the vice-chair of the house, tweeted that if Bystroň actually attended the arms training, German counter-intelligence should investigate the matter. "This may have been his last official trip," Oppermann said.
German MP Britta Hasselmann (Greens) remarked that the AfD cannot seriously pretend to have nothing to do with racism after this incident. In her view, an official trip involving arms training is something unheard-of and "calls for clarification".
Bystroň told ARD that he sees no problem in his meeting with the Suidlanders because in his view the organization is part of South African civil society. "My perception was that this is an organization of predominantly white farmers who fear for their lives and who have organized themselves in order to survive should the worst come to pass," Bystroň said.
DPA reports that there is no reliable data about member numbers for the Suidlanders, but estimates are in the thousands, with the organization itself claiming tens of thousands of members. They are mainly said to come from the Afrikaans-speaking white minority who ruled until the apartheid regime was overcome in 1994.
The Government of South Africa has been advocating the expropriation of white landowners without compensation since 2017, which the DPA reports has given energy to small extremist groups in the country. In September Bystroň sat in on a meeting between Czech President Zeman and Steve Bannon, a disgraced former strategist to the Trump administration who has been attempting to bring nationalist and populist forces together in Europe.
- German Police arrest four neo-Nazis
- Hundreds of convicted German neo-Nazis evading custody, some may be in the Czech Republic
- Germany: More than 200 000 people protest discrimination, neo-Nazism and racism
- Romani students from Czech Republic visit Germany, say they will not allow unfreedom to recur
- German court says immigrant Romani pupil incorrectly assigned to "special school" deserves compensation
- German court sentences neo-Nazi to life in prison
- Germany: Trial begins of Syrian citizen who assaulted man wearing yarmulke
- Germany is coping - three years after the immigration wave, 25 % of refugees have jobs
- German Chancellor marks 25th anniversary of xenophobic arson: "Right-wing extremism is the shame of the country"
- Germany: Wife of WWII-era Nazi has failed to show up for prison after conviction for inciting hatred
- Germany: Crime rates lowest for 25 years, apocalyptic visions of immigrant crime seem to have been exaggerated
- Germany: Three assailants attack two youths wearing yarmulkes in the capital
- Germany: Neo-Nazi terrorists get multiple-year sentences
- Germany: Romani-inhabited building struck by arson, media strangely quiet
- Germany: 14 month sentence for Holocaust denial just the latest conviction of 89-year-old
- Germany: Pro-immigration mayor assaulted for political reasons
- Analysis: Apartheid and segregation are being applied to Romani schoolchildren in the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Martin Konvička, the crime of preparing apartheid and the segregation of Romani children
- Press reports group of German neo-Nazis wanted to flee to South Africa
- Hindus and Jews term Roma deportations from European countries as “blatant apartheid”
- Lauding Angelina Jolie’s visit to Roma in Bosnia, Hindus urge her to voice Roma apartheid in Europe
- Hindus & Jews want European Union to officially declare Roma maltreatment as “apartheid”
- Experts: Roma are victims of Europe’s ‘undeclared Apartheid’
- Romanies face "tacit apartheid" in Czech Republic - TOL
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Czech Pirate Party chair: Emancipation, not "integration", for the Roma
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism