Germany: 14 month sentence for Holocaust denial just the latest conviction of 89-year-old
On 29 November an appeals court in Detmold in the German state of North Rnine-Westphalia sentenced Ursula Haverbeck to 14 months in prison for denying the existence of the Holocaust. The 89-year-old woman was found guilty of inciting hatred.
Haverbeck's lawyers want to ask the High State Court in Hamm to review the verdict. The indictment sought a sentence of 18 months for Haverbeck having denied the Holocaust last year in letters and other writings undertaken in connection with the trial of a former guard at Auschwitz, Reinhold Hanning.
The defense sought acquittal for their client, but the judge eventually favored the prosecutor's case. Haverbeck, whose husband was in the leadership of the NSDAP (the Nazi party) at the beginning of Hitler's regime, has been indicted for other instances of this same offense in different parts of Germany in recent years.
Last month a court in Berlin sentenced Haverbeck to six months in prison for inciting hatred, while in August a sentence of two years in prison was handed down against her by a court in the Lower Saxon town of Verden for denying the crimes of the Nazi regime. Those verdicts have yet to take effect because the right-wing extremist has appealed them.
The Nazis and their allies murdered six million Jewish people, predominantly from Europe, during the Second World War as part of the so-called "Final Solution to the Jewish Question". Holocaust denial is a criminal offense in Germany.
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- European Court of Human Rights: Freedom of speech does not include Holocaust denial
- Commentary: Freedom of speech vs. Holocaust denial
- Czech Republic: More charges to be filed against MP for Roma Holocaust denial
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Civil society members of Czech Gov't Commission on Roma Community remind MP that Holocaust denial is criminal
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint by convicted Holocaust denier
- Czech Supreme Court upholds Stwora's sentence for Holocaust denial
- Greece: Many police voted for the Golden Dawn party, led by a Holocaust denier
- British bishop denies the Holocaust but gets his fine reduced anyway
- Man convicted of Holocaust denial in the Czech Republic for web content on US server
- Czech PM warns against Holocaust denial
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- USA: Passer-by calls police on black man babysitting white children
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
- Czech Police do not find politicians' remarks about Romani genocide site to have been criminal
- Germany: More than 200 000 people protest discrimination, neo-Nazism and racism
- Czech ultra-nationalist party joins local assembly in the country's second-largest city
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech sociologist refutes President's allegations about Romani unemployment, agrees with ROMEA
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Czech extremist party's campaign rally in Prague legally blocked by counter-event
- Europe's Romani community asked to nominate films for AKE DIKHEA? festival, DEADLINE 15 OCTOBER
Tags:Germany, Holocaust, Racism, Trial
Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on public broadcaster to hold a real debate about Romani issues16.10.2018 10:58
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.