Germany: 14 month sentence for Holocaust denial just the latest conviction of 89-year-old
On 29 November an appeals court in Detmold in the German state of North Rnine-Westphalia sentenced Ursula Haverbeck to 14 months in prison for denying the existence of the Holocaust. The 89-year-old woman was found guilty of inciting hatred.
Haverbeck's lawyers want to ask the High State Court in Hamm to review the verdict. The indictment sought a sentence of 18 months for Haverbeck having denied the Holocaust last year in letters and other writings undertaken in connection with the trial of a former guard at Auschwitz, Reinhold Hanning.
The defense sought acquittal for their client, but the judge eventually favored the prosecutor's case. Haverbeck, whose husband was in the leadership of the NSDAP (the Nazi party) at the beginning of Hitler's regime, has been indicted for other instances of this same offense in different parts of Germany in recent years.
Last month a court in Berlin sentenced Haverbeck to six months in prison for inciting hatred, while in August a sentence of two years in prison was handed down against her by a court in the Lower Saxon town of Verden for denying the crimes of the Nazi regime. Those verdicts have yet to take effect because the right-wing extremist has appealed them.
The Nazis and their allies murdered six million Jewish people, predominantly from Europe, during the Second World War as part of the so-called "Final Solution to the Jewish Question". Holocaust denial is a criminal offense in Germany.
- Czech MP Stanislav Huml shares Holocaust denial video online
- European Court of Human Rights: Freedom of speech does not include Holocaust denial
- Commentary: Freedom of speech vs. Holocaust denial
- Czech Republic: More charges to be filed against MP for Roma Holocaust denial
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Civil society members of Czech Gov't Commission on Roma Community remind MP that Holocaust denial is criminal
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint by convicted Holocaust denier
- Czech Supreme Court upholds Stwora's sentence for Holocaust denial
- Greece: Many police voted for the Golden Dawn party, led by a Holocaust denier
- British bishop denies the Holocaust but gets his fine reduced anyway
- Man convicted of Holocaust denial in the Czech Republic for web content on US server
- Czech PM warns against Holocaust denial
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Germany: Neo-Nazi terrorists get multiple-year sentences
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Bosnia: Romani actor passes away in poverty after being lauded by Berlinale Film Festival in 2013
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
Tags:Germany, Holocaust, Racism, Trial
Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety22.4.2018 10:31
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.