Germany reorganizes special military unit because some of its personnel are members of the ultra-right
Germany is addressing an unprecedented scandal: According to officials, some members of the elite miltary unit called the Kommando Spezialkräfte (KS) are members of the extreme right. Part of the unit has been ordered dissolved because of the discovery.
The KS is an elite unit of the Bundeswehr that was created in 1990 as the equivalent of Special Forces in the USA. According to Agence France-Presse, the KS has about 1 400 members whose job description is to combat hostage-taking and terrorism.
German Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, in an interview for Sueddeutsche Zeitung, announced that she has issued an order to abolish part of the group that was initially autonomous within the unit and then became de facto independent of any central leadership. The reduction involves the partial (not total) abolition of the KS, and about 70 soldiers should be released from duty as a result.
It had previously been known that many people famous for their inclinations toward ultra-right ideologies could be found among the KS members. In May, for example, ammunition, arms and explosives were found hidden in the home of one member of the unit.
The members of the KS have long been under investigation by the German military counter-intelligence service. Karrenbauer confirmed that house searches of the KS members had been perforemd as part of the investigation.
The working group on the issue has also produced a report on the matter. They recommend the KS undergo extensive personnel changes and systemic transformation if it is to continue cooperating with the Bundeswehr.
- Czech car manufacturer Škoda distances itself from video by German ultra-right rapper
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Germany: AfD press spokesperson fired after claiming to be of "Aryan" origin and espousing fascism
- Germany: Halle terrorist charged with double murder and 68 counts of attempted murder
- Germany: Extremist group in the AfD party says it is dissolving
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- German shooting spree is being investigated as a terrorist attack
- Germany: Anti-migrant xenophobic gunman kills 11 in horrifying spree, he and his mother then found dead
- Germany: Head of the state of Thuringia resigns within 24 hours after extremist party plays kingmaker role
- German shop selling beer with neo-Nazi symbolism
- German academic institution to hold seminar on the influence of ethnic discrimination on Romani health
- Germany: Right-wing extremists "patrolling" in Berlin
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- German Govt approves measures to combat right-wing extremism, requires social media firms to report IP addresses of users making death threats
- Czech politician who relies on hatred ties himself in knots over the ultra-right terrorism in Germany
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism