Gipsies target Marco
ITV stepped up security at Hell's Kitchen yesterday - as hundreds of gipsies threatened to protest outside. They were incensed after chef Marco Pierre White used the offensive word "pikey" on Thursday's show.
Marco told maitre'd Nick Munier that blue kitchen's effort had been "a pikeys' picnic" Nick replied: "Yes, it was very pikey." (more here...)
Former Blue singer Lee Ryan was so angry about the use of that word he complained and later walked out.
Furious John Lee, 51, from Reading, Berks, said yesterday: "I am a Romany gipsy and I find the word pikey very insulting."
Show sources said gipsies had threatened a protest outside the studio in East London.
ITV said those on the show had been told the "derogatory racial" word was unacceptable.
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration