Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
Greek media are reporting that the Roma community of Menidi has been targeted with violence in response to the death of an 11-year-old non-Romani boy there. A Romani man has been accused of causing the shooting death of the boy on Thursday, June 8, when a stray bullet struck his head during an end of school celebration.
After the young boy was killed, “on Friday, [unidentified] assailants firebombed two houses near the school where the 11-year-old was killed, believing the suspect to be in one of them,” ekathimerini.com reported. The homes reportedly sustained significant damage. In addition to the Molotov cocktails thrown at the houses of Roma families, rocks were thrown and a racist rally was held. According to the Greek Reporter, “A 23-year-old Roma was arrested on Saturday morning after having confessed that he shot a shotgun on Thursday evening when a 11-year-old boy was killed from a stray bullet.”
In response to this incident, riots occurred on Saturday, June 10, and Sunday, June 11. During the riots, anti-Roma protesters attempted to attack the Roma community. Violence continued from these riots, “and the tensions stoked by the incident in one of Attica’s most downgraded districts have prompted local authorities in Menidi to increase demands for more policing and specifically for a new police station near the school where the boy died,” ekathimerini.com reported. The authorities gave permission to 20 buses to transport the protesters to the Citizens’ Protection Ministry, where a rally is to take place.
Greek media report that the accused man has admitted to firing a gun on the night of the incident, but said he did not fire a 9mm pistol, which is the kind of weapon responsible for killing the boy. He has reportedly been sentenced to 40 months in jail, suspended for three years, and remains at large.
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Breaking News No More: Life for Roma in Greece a Year after “Maria”
- Greece: Roma block traffic to resist eviction
- Greek court refuses repatriation to Bulgarian Romani child
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism