Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
Greek media are reporting that the Roma community of Menidi has been targeted with violence in response to the death of an 11-year-old non-Romani boy there. A Romani man has been accused of causing the shooting death of the boy on Thursday, June 8, when a stray bullet struck his head during an end of school celebration.
After the young boy was killed, “on Friday, [unidentified] assailants firebombed two houses near the school where the 11-year-old was killed, believing the suspect to be in one of them,” ekathimerini.com reported. The homes reportedly sustained significant damage. In addition to the Molotov cocktails thrown at the houses of Roma families, rocks were thrown and a racist rally was held. According to the Greek Reporter, “A 23-year-old Roma was arrested on Saturday morning after having confessed that he shot a shotgun on Thursday evening when a 11-year-old boy was killed from a stray bullet.”
In response to this incident, riots occurred on Saturday, June 10, and Sunday, June 11. During the riots, anti-Roma protesters attempted to attack the Roma community. Violence continued from these riots, “and the tensions stoked by the incident in one of Attica’s most downgraded districts have prompted local authorities in Menidi to increase demands for more policing and specifically for a new police station near the school where the boy died,” ekathimerini.com reported. The authorities gave permission to 20 buses to transport the protesters to the Citizens’ Protection Ministry, where a rally is to take place.
Greek media report that the accused man has admitted to firing a gun on the night of the incident, but said he did not fire a 9mm pistol, which is the kind of weapon responsible for killing the boy. He has reportedly been sentenced to 40 months in jail, suspended for three years, and remains at large.
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Breaking News No More: Life for Roma in Greece a Year after “Maria”
- Greece: Roma block traffic to resist eviction
- Greek court refuses repatriation to Bulgarian Romani child
- Racism, discrimination, intolerance and extremism: Learning from experiences in Greece and Hungary
- DNA tests confirm child removed from Greek Roma has Bulgarian Roma parents
- Child removed from Greek Romani family might be from Bulgarian Romani family
- Roma take to the streets to show political preferences on Czech state holiday
- Czech Republic commemorates Velvet Revolution, Prague Police arrest two right-wing extremists
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Roma to demonstrate in Ostrava, Czech Republic, Saturday for equal access to quality education
- Czech elections: Vote-buying suspected in poor community, Roma not involved
- UK: Thousands of Muslims protest against ISIS and terrorism in London
- Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
- Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Attorneys for anarchist defendants allege Czech Police instigated plan for unrealized train attack
- Czech Police arrest man for firing gas pistol while shouting about "Gypsies"
- USA: Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, offline after boycott
Tags:Greece, local authority, Crime, Demonstrace, Policie
Czech town to discuss controversial proposal tomorrow to declare its entire territory "socially undesirable"6.12.2017 13:34
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.