Greece approves crisis fund for Romani settlements during COVID-19
According to NGOs involved with the Roma Civil Monitor project, organized by the Center for Policy Studies at Central European University, the Greek Interior Ministry annouced on 27 March that the Government had allocated EUR 2.25 million to protect endangered Romani residents of segregated encampments and settlements in association with the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to implement the necessary measures, 98 municipalities will be receiving subsidies of between EUR 5 000 and 6 0000.
From those subsidies local governments will be able to afford to disinfect those locations, both inside residences and in shared exterior spaces, to run an information campaign about the consequences of catching COVID-19, and to arrange for potable water and any other preventive resources necessary to secure the protection of public health. Prior to the crisis fund being approved, some municipalities had taken their own steps to protect groups in the population who are most vulnerable to the deadly virus.
For example, Vice-Mayor Kostas Gerolymatos of Chalandri (population 75 000), along with Romani mediator Elena Desiotou, visited the local Romani settlement and informed its inhabitants about different aspects of COVID-19 infection and the necessary preventive and quarantine measures. A municipal social grocery shop distributes food, protective gear and disinfectants there.
Chalandri's local assembly has offered to relocate some inhabitants into social housing, depending on available capacity, and also is taking charge of demolishing abandoned shelters and disinfecting their surroundings. Local assembly members on the island of Crete have also disinfected settlements, equipped them with sanitation resources, and launched an information campaign about preventing the disease and its symptoms.
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Greeks remove triple jumper from Olympic team for racism
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon