Greece: Romani youth was holding his hands above his head when police shot him dead, according to eyewitness
Vice.com reports that a friend of 20-year-old Nikos Sabanis, the Romani man who was shot dead in Athens on Saturday, 23 October by police, is claiming that all three of the youths who were being arrested had given up resisting and had their hands above their heads when police fired more than 30 rounds at them. Mr Sabanis was driving a vehicle that had been reported to police as stolen and they shot him dead, while the 16-year-old passenger in the vehicle was severely injured and the 15-year-old passenger managed to escape unharmed.
On Wednesday, 27 October, the 15-year-old voluntarily gave his testimony to the media and prosecutors. Unlike the police officers' testimonies, the 15-year-old Romani youth told investigators and the press that Sabanis had stopped the vehicle and that everybody inside had raised their hands above their heads according to the instructions of the police.
"We were afraid they would kill us," the 15-year-old Romani youth said. "The moment we stopped, we raised our hands above our heads and they fired at us," he alleged, directly contravening police claims that the teenagers had posed a threat to the officers' lives.
The tragedy happened on 23 October 2021 as officers on motorcycles pursued the automobile, which had been reported to them as stolen. Police say the driver refused to stop the vehicle and attempted to escape.
Police subsequently used their firearms and a member of their own unit ended up being shot as well. The shooting dead of Mr Sabanis resulted in clashes between police and the Romani community that were joined by anarchist groups and antiracist ultra-left groups and then grew into a situation of mass arrests and injuries to demonstrators and passersby.
- Greek Police shoot 20-year-old Romani man dead, unrest breaks out in Athens, officers involved have been arrested
- Greece approves crisis fund for Romani settlements during COVID-19
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Greece: Neo-Nazis attack demonstration against xenophobia in Athens
- Greeks remove triple jumper from Olympic team for racism
- Greece: Neo-Nazis assaulting immigrants on the streets
- Greece: Many police voted for the Golden Dawn party, led by a Holocaust denier
- Greek neo-Nazis win 20 seats, eight European countries now have extremists in parliament
- Greece: Gypsy protest after police accidentally kill 6-year-old girl
- Greece convicted by European Court of Human Rights for injury of pregnant Romni
- Greece must improve situation of Roma, Committee of Ministers says
- Greece: Parliamentary question on Hammarberg letter on Patras Roma evictions
- Greece: Council of Europe Committee of Ministers ignores Commissioner for Human Rights information and subscribes to Greek state version on Patras Roma evictions
- Greece: Sale of 13-14 year old Muslim Roma brides for 3,000 euros!
- USA: Racist murderer in Buffalo, New York charged with hate crimes, faces death penalty
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council after meeting with PM: We submitted our proposals for solutions to the Romani refugee crisis already in March
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late
- Czech and international organizations support bereaved family with Constitutional Court complaint over death of Stanislav Tomáš in police custody
- Czech General Inspection of Security Forces claims officers' procedure in case of Romani man who died in custody was correct
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA
- Case of Stanislav Tomáš discussed during plenary session of the European Parliament
- Czech activist on the investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš: Slowly but surely, it's moving forward, and it will be a marathon